The Student Room Group

Neuropsychologist with no Alevels

I did do A-levels, however, I went through a huge rough patch through them and failed badly. I then took some months out, and started a Psychology degree with the open University. I'm planning on getting an assistant psychology role, then doing neuro masters and eventually go onto do a PhD. But I'm scared that I won't get a job at all, due to the competitiveness of psychology snd also considering I failed alevels
I doubt A-levels will matter - by the time you get to applying to graduate courses even if you did well in your A-levels and didn't take time out they wouldn't be representative of your current ability, nor provide evidence of the skills you need to be successful in those areas. Especially in your case where yo utook them earlier and then took some time out, it's even less of an issue.

Note though to become a professional psychologist you need to do the corresponding graduate course (e.g. DClinPsy) - just a PhD won't necessarily meet that requirement (and some DClinPsy applicants will have a PhD when they apply!). It looks like for neurospsychology you first need to train in clinical or educational psychology (so would need a DClinPsy or DEdPsy), after doing a BPS accredited undergraduate degree. I imagine postgraduate study (at masters or PhD level) may be helpful in making yourself more competitive, as would be relevant work experience (such as working as an assistant psychologist, although there are other potentially relevant options too I gather).

In either case, by that point I don't think your A-level grades will matter - you'll probably still need to report them on an application but I doubt they would make or break an application compared to other more relevant things (like postgrad study, clinical work experience etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending