Should I retake GCSEs

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m currently doing my a levels (a year late) and I’m predicted A*A*A*, which I’m quite confident I’ll achieve. However I spent year 10 and 11 (and what should have been year 13) in and out of hospital.
Because of this I only managed to take 7 GCSEs and the grades aren’t great. I got AABBCCC. Luckily the As are in Maths and English though!
My reference mentions why my GCSEs aren’t great and luckily I’ve been given some offers at quite good universities.
My worry is that I’m interested in a career in law or accounting, haven’t quite decided yet, and I’m unsure if my GCSEs will affect this.
Is it worth me taking a year off and retaking some to make my overall academics look better? Or will GCSEs not really make a difference?
Sorry for rambling
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
For accounting - won’t matter as you have as in maths and English plus a respectable total number of GCSEs. For law - not sure, but almost certainly not an issue, even more certainly not worth the effort of taking more GCSEs.

For university applications - probably no issue especially if your references not the circumstances.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I don't think they'll make a difference and GCSEs often aren't considered if taken after A levels anyway. Forget them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ajj2000)
For accounting - won’t matter as you have as in maths and English plus a respectable total number of GCSEs. For law - not sure, but almost certainly not an issue, even more certainly not worth the effort of taking more GCSEs.

For university applications - probably no issue especially if your references not the circumstances.
Okay thankyou
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EOData)
I don't think they'll make a difference and GCSEs often aren't considered if taken after A levels anyway. Forget them.
Okay thankyou! Obviously I’d rather not take another year out anyway.. just worried it will affect my future career
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay thankyou! Obviously I’d rather not take another year out anyway.. just worried it will affect my future career
As the others say, it's almost certainly a waste of time retaking them. I'd concentrate on your A levels instead.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
As the others say, it's almost certainly a waste of time retaking them. I'd concentrate on your A levels instead.
Okay thankyou I’ll just forget about GCSEs
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You have definitely got extenuating circumstances and I think unis and future employers will recognise this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DaQuestioner)
You have definitely got extenuating circumstances and I think unis and future employers will recognise this.
Yeh well I have some good uni offers which I’m happy with I was mostly worried about employers. Would you say it’s worth mentioning it when applying to internships/jobs then?
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I don't think so.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You've got more than the standard minimum number of GCSEs, you've got high grades in English and Maths, and there's a clear and obvious reason why your results weren't amazing. I'm not sure what you think you'd gain by taking them now? At three years older than the age they are designed for, and working at a much higher level, at best you can confirm that they are easy for you, and at worst you can fail to get the exceptionally high grades that would be expected of an academically able 19-20 year old taking exams targeted at the full range of 16 year olds.

It's not normal to even put your GCSE results on job applications once you have a degree, with the exception of indicating that you have maths and English if your A level and degree subjects don't do so.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by skylark2)
You've got more than the standard minimum number of GCSEs, you've got high grades in English and Maths, and there's a clear and obvious reason why your results weren't amazing. I'm not sure what you think you'd gain by taking them now? At three years older than the age they are designed for, and working at a much higher level, at best you can confirm that they are easy for you, and at worst you can fail to get the exceptionally high grades that would be expected of an academically able 19-20 year old taking exams targeted at the full range of 16 year olds.

It's not normal to even put your GCSE results on job applications once you have a degree, with the exception of indicating that you have maths and English if your A level and degree subjects don't do so.
Okay thankyou!
abaidya
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Okay thankyou I’ll just forget about GCSEs
agree.
morlman
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeh well I have some good uni offers which I’m happy with I was mostly worried about employers. Would you say it’s worth mentioning it when applying to internships/jobs then?
Yes absolutely mention "extenuating circumstances" when applying for internships/job offers as the competition for them is extremely fierce and you'll want any boost you can get.
Also make sure you're ready to apply for "springweeks" or "spring internships" in September as they operate on a rolling basis and an early application can go a long way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (122)
41.78%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.49%
No (116)
39.73%

Watched Threads