The Student Room Group

Essay help with outdated language terms

Hi all. I am finishing up an essay for a uni module around special educational needs and in my essay I refer to some old documents which use the terms "handicapped" and sometimes even "******ed". I know that these terms are no longer acceptable or used officially but the sources are relevant to my essay and are needed for historical context. I am also not using these words within my own writing and only using them in quotes of course. My question is do I need to provide some kind of disclaimer at the start of my essay or an appendix of some kind just to clarify why these terms are being used? I tried to find out information online and through my tutor and didn't have much luck so thought I would ask here. The referencing style I am using is Harvard in case that is relevant as I know Harvard doesn't use foot notes etc. Any help or clarification would be really helpful! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Not sure how much this will help but personally I would ask the tutor.
It isn't like you are asking them for answers to questions - personally I would imagine since you are taking quotations and referencing them and its not "your own words" I would imagine you wouldn't have to have a caveat justifying their use.
Depending on what you are writing it is likely that the terms you are referencing are being "justified" through your explanation of them in the essay itself without needing a disclaimer?
Bare in mind plenty of students studying other sensitive subjects where the topic of racial discrimination for example will be discussed/written about where there is some obvious words that would come up when citing sources and using quotations. I would imagine any tutor applying some common sense and reading it in context would have to use some serious mental gymnastics to conclude that these are "your words" - but I can see why you might be unsure.
To be on the safe side, any doubts double check with your tutor :smile:
Original post by ebtbh
Hi all. I am finishing up an essay for a uni module around special educational needs and in my essay I refer to some old documents which use the terms "handicapped" and sometimes even "******ed". I know that these terms are no longer acceptable or used officially but the sources are relevant to my essay and are needed for historical context. I am also not using these words within my own writing and only using them in quotes of course. My question is do I need to provide some kind of disclaimer at the start of my essay or an appendix of some kind just to clarify why these terms are being used? I tried to find out information online and through my tutor and didn't have much luck so thought I would ask here. The referencing style I am using is Harvard in case that is relevant as I know Harvard doesn't use foot notes etc. Any help or clarification would be really helpful! Thank you :smile:

You almost sound frightened by these words. Handicapped is one - what's the other? It upset TSR's swear filter, clearly.

If this is direct quotation from the original, there is absolutely no need for a disclaimer or something. Similarly, unless it is relevant to your argument, there is no need to explain why these terms are being used. No-one is going to get upset about some words which are no longer used if they are in context and used in an academic piece of writing.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
You almost sound frightened by these words. Handicapped is one - what's the other? It upset TSR's swear filter, clearly.

If this is direct quotation from the original, there is absolutely no need for a disclaimer or something. Similarly, unless it is relevant to your argument, there is no need to explain why these terms are being used. No-one is going to get upset about some words which are no longer used if they are in context and used in an academic piece of writing.

It'll be the 'r' word, as used in 'fire re----ant'

OP it will be fine. I have used similar words when translating stuff because those are the words that were intended. I have never received pushback in any sense. We all know that using them now is bally poor form, and if it is contextualised then nobody will think twice.
Original post by gjd800
It'll be the 'r' word, as used in 'fire re----ant'

Oh, yes! Stupid me. I was sitting here going through every offensive term I could think of - quite a lot, as it happens :laugh:
Reply 5
Back after 3 months! Thank you all. I am writing about a similar subject for my dissertation and these words have come up again, but now I know how to deal with it properly haha. I just wanted to be sure, that is all. Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest