The Student Room Group

ICSE student moving to a/as level

Hi
I am interested in pursuing law from UK and I have taken eng, psychology, history, economics and maths in my As level. As a student going from icse do you think all the subjects are content heavy. Should I replace history to global perspective & Research.
Original post by Notyourcupoftea
Hi
I am interested in pursuing law from UK and I have taken eng, psychology, history, economics and maths in my As level. As a student going from icse do you think all the subjects are content heavy. Should I replace history to global perspective & Research.

You should stop doing 5 subjects, rather than tinkering around with swaps! You can't possibly do well at 5 A levels, and it is completely unnecessary - it gives you no advantage in your application to study law, and is a positive disadvantage in terms of workload.

You need 3 A levels to study law, and these can be in any subject. Essay subject(s) are useful but not mandatory. I would steer clear of Global Perspective and Reach and choose three out of the five AS you've written above.
Original post by Reality Check
You should stop doing 5 subjects, rather than tinkering around with swaps! You can't possibly do well at 5 A levels, and it is completely unnecessary - it gives you no advantage in your application to study law, and is a positive disadvantage in terms of workload.

You need 3 A levels to study law, and these can be in any subject. Essay subject(s) are useful but not mandatory. I would steer clear of Global Perspective and Reach and choose three out of the five AS you've written above.

We need to take 5 subjects in our A level. My school made it compulsory for us
Reply 3
Original post by Notyourcupoftea
We need to take 5 subjects in our A level. My school made it compulsory for us

What school is this??
No student can possibly do so many A levels if they have to do it by force
It will be a very very heavy workload (think of it as if you are doing 10 subjects, because each subject has AS content and A level content, plus a set of papers for each year)
That is why most students are told to take no more than 4 A levels, maybe 3+ EPQ at most.
Check with your school again and drop unnecessary subjects.
Go to your desired University website and check the required/preferred subjects and choose only those (3 of those)
I have never heard of a school forcing students to do so many A levels- even Cambridge themselves discourage taking too many. As an ICSE student I understand you might be used to doing many subjects and may hear of your HSC peers doing more subjects, but rest assured you won't be disadvantaged in any way because UK unis hold A levels in high regard and do not give preference to those who do more than necessary. You will only end up taking a hit in your scores if you try to juggle these many.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest