applying for university (english/biochemistry)

Watch this thread
dani610
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does anyone know whether it's possible to apply for two completely different subjects in the UK because UCAS only allows one personal statement and I want to apply to Cambridge for English but also biochemistry for KCL or Imperial
Is there any other way besides UCAS to apply for universities?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Yes this is posiible - you would need to email Cambridge in the autumn and ask then if they will allow this. They dont have to but usually Unis do say yes.

In the meantime, just think about why you want to do this - ie. which subject do you actually want to study at degree level.
Last edited by McGinger; 3 months ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by dani610)
Does anyone know whether it's possible to apply for two completely different subjects in the UK because UCAS only allows one personal statement and I want to apply to Cambridge for English but also biochemistry for KCL or Imperial
What about your other 2 choices?
dani610
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Yes this is posiible - you would need to email Cambridge in the autumn and ask then if they will allow this. They dont have to but usually Unis do say yes.

In the meantime, just think about why you want to do this - ie. which subject do you actually want to study at degree level.
Thanks for the reply
But would it lower my chances of getting in as they might think I'm not as passionate if I include both subjects in my personal statement?
dani610
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
What about your other 2 choices?
not sure yet but probably less ambitious universities as backups
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
not sure yet but probably less ambitious universities as backups
For which subject?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the reply
But would it lower my chances of getting in as they might think I'm not as passionate if I include both subjects in my personal statement?
You dont include both subjects - that IS the quickest way to get rejected.
You write your UCAS PS about ONLY Biochem for 4 choices and you ask Cambridge if you can submit an 'English' PS directly to them
dani610
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
For which subject?
Maybe Exeter, Loughborough or Royal Holloway for English but I haven't decided for biochemistry
beant6464
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yes,
my main ucas personal statement was for neuroscience but I sent my English personal statement separately to Kings College London from their my portal and got an offer but declined last year. You just need to send it and list it as an alternative personal statement to the uni privately after you apply.

I reapplied this year and currently have firmed my unconditional offer for Royal Holloway for English and classical studies and will be going there this September as from the modules they honestly have the best English choices in the country.
Last edited by beant6464; 3 months ago
dani610
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)

thanks! any suggestions on how to draft the email? because i don't want to make it sound like they're not my first choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads