New job and already clashing with my line manager

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all, I recently started a new job and I'm already not getting on very well with my line manager. I've spoken to other colleagues in the same job as me and their line managers are far more involved with their work and actively check up on them and their progress. I had a meeting with my line manager's own manager today and he was shocked that my line manager hadn't gone over a bunch of things with me yet (he hasn't even sorted out the account for me to enter my bank details for my salary payment). I tried speaking to my line manager today about why he hasn't gone over these things with me but he's pretty much accusing me of trying to outsmart him and was really rude.

Any advice on what to do? I've pretty much cracked today and I needed to vent somewhere. If this is all happening within the first few weeks of me starting the job, I'm already worried about what this will do in the later stages. What if I can't progress as quickly as my colleagues?
Anonymous #1
Bump
Bristolbb
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
What did you say to him exactly
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Keep a record of interactions with your line manager; date, time, what was discussed, anyone else who was there at the time.

Check your contract, terms of reference, any training plans and make a timetable of what should be happening when, eg if the account has to be completed by a certain date, anything like health and safety that needs to be completed, especially if it needs to be signed off. Email your line manager with the info (so it's in writing for future reference), and also say to him you've sent him questions that you'd like to discuss by a certain time. Thing is, you don't always know what other people have going on in their lives, so you could be unlucky with someone who is unprofessional or they could have external stresses. Sorry you are going through all this, but if the problems persist, use all this to raise it with the next manager up; he sounds reasonable.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
Keep a record of interactions with your line manager; date, time, what was discussed, anyone else who was there at the time.

Check your contract, terms of reference, any training plans and make a timetable of what should be happening when, eg if the account has to be completed by a certain date, anything like health and safety that needs to be completed, especially if it needs to be signed off. Email your line manager with the info (so it's in writing for future reference), and also say to him you've sent him questions that you'd like to discuss by a certain time. Thing is, you don't always know what other people have going on in their lives, so you could be unlucky with someone who is unprofessional or they could have external stresses. Sorry you are going through all this, but if the problems persist, use all this to raise it with the next manager up; he sounds reasonable.
Thanks for the advice!

Surely, it’s pretty obvious that because I’m new, I would need more guidance. It’s weird because I’ve had meetings with the next manager up and a manager of similar rank to my own, and I’ve spoken to them more than my own line manager in the last couple of weeks. How long do you suggest waiting to raise it with the next manager up (if the problems do even persist)?
Surnia
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How long do you suggest waiting to raise it with the next manager up (if the problems do even persist)?
Thats what you need to check, as there's usually some kind of statement somewhere about completing training within x weeks, or things that you can't do unless you've not only been trained, but also formally authorised to do so. I suggest a week to get your ducks in a row, ask for feedback 2 weeks after that, and escalate it to higher management after another 2 weeks; then again, I don't know how that would impact on your ability to do your job. Also subtly consult your colleagues and see how quickly they got everything sorted, and if they know of any company guidance/policy on timescales.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)

I agree
Anonymous #1
This week has also not been going well so far. Everytime I message my line manager for help he doesn't respond until a few hours later or during unsocial hours once I've finished work. We had a meeting together with his manager yesterday and when I was asked if my line manager had gone through some tasks with me but he interrupted me before I had the chance to say no. I'm trying to be patient but I don't know how much longer I can wait.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads