Help this symptom is doing my head in I’m scared

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So basically I’ve had rhinitis/nasal issue (year round) for a decade now. No idea if allergic or non allergic - I tested negative for allergies yet antihistamines help. So I treat with these and either nasal steroid sprays or steroid drops for when it gets worse. I commenced the drops over a week ago and my nose has much improved! However even though I can breath clearly I can feel a sensation of tightness in my upper throat (like nasopharyngeal area), the sensation extends to my throat and is on and off through the day.

Ive booked a gp appointment - it was a nightmare getting a appointment but the nearest one is 16th Feb.

I’m scared as I don’t know what this is though. I can breath ok but the sensation is quite disturbing and my main worry is that, like the rhinitis it will be chronic. Even though it’s minor I can’t imagine having this all the time!

Can anyone provide any insight have you had anything similar..
Anonymous #1
Anyone
oliveraptor6
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Waheyyyy. What's up. Fellow allergic rhinitis victim here. I have a slight allergy to dust mites (dust basically) and cat hair, and constantly have a runny nose. I also had a deviated septum, basically the flesh in between my nostrils was pretty kinky and blocked airflow quite a bit. Have since had a surgery to straighten it out (rhinoplasty) which helped massively. Is one of your symptoms having a runny nose?

Edit, it was septoplasty not rhinoplasty.
Last edited by oliveraptor6; 3 months ago
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically I’ve had rhinitis/nasal issue (year round) for a decade now. No idea if allergic or non allergic - I tested negative for allergies yet antihistamines help. So I treat with these and either nasal steroid sprays or steroid drops for when it gets worse. I commenced the drops over a week ago and my nose has much improved! However even though I can breath clearly I can feel a sensation of tightness in my upper throat (like nasopharyngeal area), the sensation extends to my throat and is on and off through the day.

Ive booked a gp appointment - it was a nightmare getting a appointment but the nearest one is 16th Feb.

I’m scared as I don’t know what this is though. I can breath ok but the sensation is quite disturbing and my main worry is that, like the rhinitis it will be chronic. Even though it’s minor I can’t imagine having this all the time!

Can anyone provide any insight have you had anything similar..
Ok long story here.
I have chronic rhinitis, I’m 27 now and have had this since the age of around 10.
Is the nasal spray/drip an over the counter one you can get without prescription? If it is one of those abs contains Oxymetazoline stop taking it now, they lead to “rebound congestion” and you end up trapped in a cycle of using them more and more regularly, I’ve been taking them since about 12 and sometimes it’s awful. Panicky feeling when you don’t have the spray with you and you get blocked up, trouble sleeping due to congestion etc.

My advice would be keep at your GP, just keep going back. I had to go continuously until I eventually got referred to an ENT. They shoved a camera up my nose and within 5 minutes told me I had a deviated septum which blocked parts of my nose and I had to get a Septoplasty (it’s improved since then but not massively).

Sounds all very dramatic lol, but genuinely if it is non-prescription ones it’s not worth taking them.

If it’s prescription ones check if they are suitable for long term use.
If you want a bit more info or anything feel free to fire me a message, I know how it feels and it truly sucks so I get it. I also get it can sound silly to some people cos it’s “just a blocked nose” but it really is awful.

The feeling in your throat I’ve had before and fingers crossed yours just goes away, mine did and it’s only ever happened a few times for a few days at a time when it’s particularly bad. Not sure if it is the same thing but sounds like it.
oliveraptor6
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Pars1885)
Ok long story here.
I have chronic rhinitis, I’m 27 now and have had this since the age of around 10.
Is the nasal spray/drip an over the counter one you can get without prescription? If it is one of those abs contains Oxymetazoline stop taking it now, they lead to “rebound congestion” and you end up trapped in a cycle of using them more and more regularly, I’ve been taking them since about 12 and sometimes it’s awful. Panicky feeling when you don’t have the spray with you and you get blocked up, trouble sleeping due to congestion etc.

My advice would be keep at your GP, just keep going back. I had to go continuously until I eventually got referred to an ENT. They shoved a camera up my nose and within 5 minutes told me I had a deviated septum which blocked parts of my nose and I had to get a Septoplasty (it’s improved since then but not massively).

Sounds all very dramatic lol, but genuinely if it is non-prescription ones it’s not worth taking them.

If you want a bit more info or anything feel free to fire me a message, I know how it feels and it truly sucks so I get it. I also get it can sound silly to some people cos it’s “just a blocked nose” but it really is awful.

The feeling in your throat I’ve had before and fingers crossed yours just goes away, mine did and it’s only ever happened a few times for a few days at a time when it’s particularly bad. Not sure if it is the same thing but sounds like it.
If you're still having the problem and haven't tried this, I'd buy a nasal flush bottle thing online. Mix a teaspoon of bicarb of soda and salt into warm water and use the bottle to flush it through one nostril and out the other. Has worked like a charm for me.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pars1885)
Ok long story here.

No the meds have all been prescribed for years - nasonex steroid spray daily and fluticasone drops for when symptoms are worse.

My nose is actually clear/good at the moment as I’ve been on the steroid drops for a week it’s just the issue I’ve described with my upper throat. It’s so weird, not sore or scratchy just a tight slight tingly sensation in a bad way. It’s nothing like a cold or infection
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No the meds have all been prescribed for years - nasonex steroid spray daily and fluticasone drops for when symptoms are worse.

My nose is actually clear/good at the moment as I’ve been on the steroid drops for a week it’s just the issue I’ve described with my upper throat. It’s so weird, not sore or scratchy just a tight slight tingly sensation in a bad way. It’s nothing like a cold or infection
Ahh ok, good stuff. In that case mate I would just keep on at the doctor, hopefully in the appointment they can shed some light on it for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.21%
Not yet, but I will soon (56)
17.28%
No (128)
39.51%

Watched Threads