My mum is putting my job down.

Watch this thread
3umbrellas
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am a teaching assistant. My mum keeps telling me my job is like working in a supermarket and all I do is help kids use the toilet. My mum keeps telling me to be a teacher. I don't want to be a teacher. I am happy with my teaching assistant job. Talking to my mum is impossible as she doesn't care about my happiness. She has always been like this- interfering where she is not wanted. She knows she is annoying. But, doesn't change.
My mum cares a lot about looking good to people. We are indians living in the UK.
Even my mum's sister told me my mum likes to fight. Because of this, I don't talk to my mum much.
Guess I wrote all this for some comforting words.
🙂
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
If she's just going to be casually nasty to you, I suggest you don't talk to her at all. I'd also be tempted to tell her why if she asks.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 3umbrellas)
I am a teaching assistant. My mum keeps telling me my job is like working in a supermarket and all I do is help kids use the toilet. My mum keeps telling me to be a teacher. I don't want to be a teacher. I am happy with my teaching assistant job. Talking to my mum is impossible as she doesn't care about my happiness. She has always been like this- interfering where she is not wanted. She knows she is annoying. But, doesn't change.
My mum cares a lot about looking good to people. We are indians living in the UK.
Even my mum's sister told me my mum likes to fight. Because of this, I don't talk to my mum much.
🙂
At the end of the day the decision you make is totally upto you not anybody else's okay.
You can surely make up your mind on what job you want to do, if you are happy with being a teacher assistant then be proud of that,

No way is teaching is like working in a supermarket ok.

Tell your mum that you are using this teaching assistant job to see what it is like to be a teacher but as yet you don't think doing a teacher degree at university is for you but will keep it in mind but not to force you into doing something you not happy on doing. Tell her you thinking on becoming a nurse or something like that.

You do need to talk to her on things and put your side over on it.
If she not willing to talk nice to you then why waste your time on trying to do that.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
How old are you?

Unfortunately she’s not very nice putting your job down. You seem a bit co dependent for approval from her. But I don’t know if she gives these comments uninvited or if you go to talk to her about it. You have the right to be fine with your job but don’t expect her to accept your wishes; you’ll waste your time and be hurt.
3umbrellas
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How old are you?

Unfortunately she’s not very nice putting your job down. You seem a bit co dependent for approval from her. But I don’t know if she gives these comments uninvited or if you go to talk to her about it. You have the right to be fine with your job but don’t expect her to accept your wishes; you’ll waste your time and be hurt.
Last edited by 3umbrellas; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
Yeah literally if you have a reason for wanting to stay a teaching assistant and it supports you financially and you can be independent with it then it’s just a matter of opinion and you shouldn’t get into conversations about it. You either care about the job you’re comfortable with or you care about doing things you don’t want to make your parents proud so decide
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
🙂
A good TA is very important and makes a big difference. Ignore your mum and save up so you can move out.
Last edited by Muttley79; 3 months ago
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
At 32 surely you should know not to take her comments personally/to heart.
You're an adult, do what makes you happy.
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm a trainee teacher and seriously schools would be LOST without teaching assistants. It's not like working in a supermarket. They help kids with their whole development and learning. A lot of the TAs I've seen are like teachers themselves.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
32 years old and you letting your mum tell you what to do in life.
I knew what I wanted to do as a career as young as 7/8 and it took me long enough to actually get onto the degree course that I'm now qualified as.
My mum never pressured me into the job I'm now doing as I landed up working at first in retail untill I got accepted on the degree course and I'm now 3 years qualified as a midwife.........
So you do as you as you want to do ok not being controlled by whatever your mum tell you to do.

Schools would be at a big lost without people like yourself doing teacher assistant jobs as said previously it completely different from working in a supermarket believe me okay,
You would be best saving up and perhaps find a wee flat to live on your own away from your mum and get on living your own life okay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads