Politics A-Level essay feedback needed!

Watch this thread
meli77
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey,

I would appreciate it a lot if I could get some feedback on this essay. Also, how many marks do you think this would get? It's my first source question so I am still a bit rusty...

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by meli77; 3 months ago
daisywatson253
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hiya!

I'm in year 13 and currently on track for an A* - so I hope this advice has some useful weighting!

Firstly, most exam boards expect you to mention the provenance of the source. So, with this source, you could comment on its likely impartiality due to its origins. Being from a university means it's likely a research resource... etc. etc. Being from parliament, is it possible to lean a certain way. Also, look at the timing of the source being written. 2016 is a significant year - it had a referendum! Mention that and how it could have inspired the research. Work on embedding that in your introduction and commenting on the impact of origin on the opinions presented.

Instead of 'some may argue', try to utilise phrases like 'The source states that' 'the extract claims...' Essentially hold the source responsible for its opinions and then use your own knowledge to build upon their claims/statements. When comparing and contrasting the two, make it evident that you are comparing the sources - what is it that actively disagrees or agrees with the other. Utilise quotes!

Also, just a general tip - politics is all about examples and technique. If you can master those, you're on the road to top marks! Try to embed relevant examples and compare historical examples to recent ones to show political development, etc. This will become easier once you've covered more content.
meli77
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Woahhh thank you very much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (20)
16.81%
The paper was reasonable (57)
47.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
26.05%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
9.24%

Watched Threads