Part-time PhD attendance

Watch this thread
Emona
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all, can anyone share information on how often one needs to attend university when completing a part-time PhD course? I am considering a part-time PhD in Computer Science but not sure how is a PhD normally structured attendance-wise and do I also need to teach at uni or is this simply a choice?

Thank you in advance for your help and enjoy your evening/day (depending on when you read this) .

Many thanks,
Emona
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Emona)
Hi all, can anyone share information on how often one needs to attend university when completing a part-time PhD course? I am considering a part-time PhD in Computer Science but not sure how is a PhD normally structured attendance-wise and do I also need to teach at uni or is this simply a choice?

Thank you in advance for your help and enjoy your evening/day (depending on when you read this) .

Many thanks,
Emona
Teaching is normally optional and paid extra, the expected hours on site would be something you agree with your supervisor in detail provided they meet the overall college regs for attendance.
Emona
Rep:
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Teaching is normally optional and paid extra, the expected hours on site would be something you agree with your supervisor in detail provided they meet the overall college regs for attendance.
Thank you for your answer . This clears things up as in this case, one would have the option to negotiate how often to be on campus.

Thank you again for your information and if anyone else wishes to share their experience with apart-time PhD program that would be greatly appreciated - not solely by me but also by the students who consider that in the future as there aren't very many topics on the part-time research option.
MarieJanes
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I am a FT PhD student and I only go onto campus to teach. All our supervision meetings and PhD workshops are still being conducted on Teams. I think going forward that the workshops that I choose to sign up to may be held F2F but during C19, who really knows? Personally, if I was in your position with being PT I wouldn't worry too much about F2F contact time as you would only need a full supervision team meeting once every 2 months in compliance with most PhD regs but most things thereafter are at your call anyway.
Emona
Rep:
(Original post by MarieJanes)
I am a FT PhD student and I only go onto campus to teach. All our supervision meetings and PhD workshops are still being conducted on Teams. I think going forward that the workshops that I choose to sign up to may be held F2F but during C19, who really knows? Personally, if I was in your position with being PT I wouldn't worry too much about F2F contact time as you would only need a full supervision team meeting once every 2 months in compliance with most PhD regs but most things thereafter are at your call anyway.
Thank you so much for your reply, it helped me a lot ! This clarifies a lot of things for me as I really had no idea how much I would need to attend and so for and nobody around me is interested in a PhD whcih leaves me with no source of information for the day to day reallity of a PhD, so this forum and its community is much needed. Thanks again and wish you a great week ahead .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
23.85%
The paper was reasonable (48)
44.04%
Not feeling great about that exam... (24)
22.02%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.09%

Watched Threads