The Student Room Group

comparing myself to others and feeling really down

hey guys, recently i've fallen into the really bad habit of constantly comparing myself to others. last year during lockdown (january 2021) i was severely depressed and as a result neglected my a levels and didn't work as hard as i should have. now we're back in school, i can't help but comparing myself to the year 12's wishing i was in their position and wishing i had worked harder so that i wouldn't be in the position i'm in right now. i know it probably sounds really stupid but i can't help comparing myself and it's making me feel really down. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys, recently i've fallen into the really bad habit of constantly comparing myself to others. last year during lockdown (january 2021) i was severely depressed and as a result neglected my a levels and didn't work as hard as i should have. now we're back in school, i can't help but comparing myself to the year 12's wishing i was in their position and wishing i had worked harder so that i wouldn't be in the position i'm in right now. i know it probably sounds really stupid but i can't help comparing myself and it's making me feel really down. any advice would be greatly appreciated

How old are you
Reply 2
i'm 17, going to be 18 soon
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Try not to be hard on yourself. You had a really tough year 12 and you have done well to keep going. There are always options... you could always redo year 13 or resit if you felt that would give you a chance to show what you can really do. Even just working really hard on revision could get you where you want to be. Is there anyone at school you could talk to about how you feel? You will certainly not be alone in how you feel about the last 18 months. You are really brave to open up and say what you have...that type of courage will serve you well in life. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and good wishes. Hope things work out well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest