Uni safety?

Watch this thread
penguingirl18
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've applied to York, KCL, Leeds and Glasgow and was wondering how safe these areas are. Since I'm an international student, I'm kind of lost as to how to ascertain this because the internet seems wildly conflicted. Especially Glasgow - high murder rate but safe for tourists?
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by penguingirl18)
I've applied to York, KCL, Leeds and Glasgow and was wondering how safe these areas are. Since I'm an international student, I'm kind of lost as to how to ascertain this because the internet seems wildly conflicted. Especially Glasgow - high murder rate but safe for tourists?
There is an article specific to universities in England and Wales here:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...ime-and-safety

And some statistics from 2020 here:

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ties-and-towns
Last edited by normaw; 3 months ago
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Glasgow truly is fine at least where the uni's are (the city center and west end) you don't want to be going outside of the center, that's where it gets truly rough but you won't need to.

I do know a handful of people who have been hurt, but that's almost always on a night out and it's extremely rare (also it happens in every city). We do get a fair few stabbings, probably one a month or so, but these are isolated incidents where the attacker knew the victim and usually gang or drugs related.

In other words I'm not denying Glasgow has a problem but for the average student it won't affect you at all. It's an amazing city and am happy to call it my home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (65)
19.52%
The paper was reasonable (124)
37.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (96)
28.83%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
14.41%

Watched Threads