Is talking to yourself weird?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
To cut it short. My room has been a mess, it's late at night and i got the motivation to sort out my books etc. I decided to record myself on my laptop and was like having short convos with myself as i was completing the task. To me idk it helps me get more into smthg when i voice out my thoughts every now and then - not all the time- but when i feel i should commit to doing something its sort of like giving myself little pep talks. all my mood is ruined when my dad comes in and starts interrogating me- at first i left his anger to the fact that the time was late, but he soon started asking me why i would talk to myself- that no normal person would, he'd say ' theres ppl in the house u can talk to' and like how its a waste of time im doing this. idk if it was cause i was overwhelmed but i just burst out crying. my mum also didnt seem to get it either and just looked disappointed. this is getting long oops but now i feel empty thanks to that.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hi,
No I don't think it's strange at all! For us introverts, sometimes we are our own best friends. It's like having a diary or a to-do list, right? People often 'talk' to themselves through things like that.
And there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be open with members of your family either. Take mine for instance. My dad is not very open-minded and just refuses to understand some things, so there are certain topics that I know I can't talk about with him, but there are other things that I can.

Do you tend to get anxiety? Maybe that's something I could try and help you with? What's your relationship with your family like?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
No I don't think it's strange at all! For us introverts, sometimes we are our own best friends. It's like having a diary or a to-do list, right? People often 'talk' to themselves through things like that.
And there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be open with members of your family either. Take mine for instance. My dad is not very open-minded and just refuses to understand some things, so there are certain topics that I know I can't talk about with him, but there are other things that I can.

Do you tend to get anxiety? Maybe that's something I could try and help you with? What's your relationship with your family like?
tbh its similar to your case in the sense that i know they would not understand why I i do certain things so when they try to ask or confront me about it i panic cause i know the reaction they are gonna give, take this for instance, i even told them before if it was okay for them to not come into my room cause i sort of saw this coming , i just didn't wanna be interrupted recording myself and overall was in the mood you know- but it all got ruined thanks to them coming in and hours later i just came home to meet my mum who looked super spooked around me. so thats when i really thought 'do only insane ppl talk to themsleves' since my parents reacted this way. idk man. can't even freely talk to myself anymore smh adults, maybe the sense of always being on guard has made my anxiety sky rocket like it never has before, u know like when adults care too much about things that shouldn't matter much to them?yeah.
Let's G0 Champ
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Yh
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
No. Not unless you expect an answer back.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Let's G0 Champ)
Yh
Spoiler:
Show
😍fr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
21.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.61%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
6.06%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
15.15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
24.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
22.73%

Watched Threads