The Student Room Group

Accept friend add from "ex toxic friend" in lead management job?

I had a friend in college, who became a massive ****, we all finished college and spoke and a year after he finished uni he dropped us all like bricks, unfriended etc and kept only with those who I can presume he thought of as "useful" e.g. the ones who went into the same career as him.

He moved away up North with a girl from college from where we all lived, and we only ever heard through the grapevine what happened, but most recently, he now has had a divorce finalised because he was serial cheating and his personal life fell apart.

I recently had a friend request from him on Facebook and one of my friends from college got a "Tinder Match" off him. Turns out he's moved back home to his parents and now works here.

I do know he is a toxic person, and none of us would hear from him again if things went "right" for him up north. But, do I accept his add?

He has always been a brownnoser to lecturers at college and I suspect that's what's got him advancing in his career, One of the last things he did with me was berate that my undergraduate was taking too long and I should have started right away after college and that he's finished his degree and now onto a masters in a professional job (He finished his degree 2 years before mine, however keeps quiet he was thrown out of his first uni in his first year) and also kept onto me for help and advice with his coursework, to which I really didn't acknowledge his request at the time.

I think purely due to his management position now it "may" help me in future keeping neutral terms, as its a contact, and, I always do hope people can change and may be completely different person as he's got older. Or, he's simply after a nose to see how I have made achievement over the years to compare and unfriend me again. He always had a somewhat jealousy or infatuation about me in college too.

I think the gist is, should I use him like he's tried to use me in the past now he's in this job as he could be a worthwhile contact?
I think you may already know what you need to do, so maybe this is about validation?

I once worked with a boss who was horrible to everyone around her, including me. When redundancy was on offer I took it. They regularly tried to connect on LinkedIn but I don't need people like that in my life - there have been so many amazing folks who have helped me get on in life I can see no reason to let my life be contaminated by a toxic person like them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending