Can I change my preferred name after I submitted my application and received offers?

Watch this thread
Andacity
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Heya, I recently started going by a different name (after I submitted my application and received offers) how would I go about changing this? Should I direct contact my universities and tell them that my preferred name has changed (since it's different to what I put it as when I signed up), or am I stuck with the one I have? It's not my legal name so there's no documentation of it being changed, I just really don't want to go by my legal name or the name I put as my preferred name.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Andacity)
Heya, I recently started going by a different name (after I submitted my application and received offers) how would I go about changing this? Should I direct contact my universities and tell them that my preferred name has changed (since it's different to what I put it as when I signed up), or am I stuck with the one I have? It's not my legal name so there's no documentation of it being changed, I just really don't want to go by my legal name or the name I put as my preferred name.
Log into ucas and see if you can update your known as name on the ucas website. If you can’t then ring up ucas and get them to change it.

Then once it’s changed on ucas email each of your universities
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Just remember that if your certificates are in a different name that that isnt a great idea at this stage.

You could chance your 'preferred name' (ie. what you woud like letters etc addressed to) but leave the main names as your legal name. Unless you have changed your name formally and legally having two 'personas' will cause no end of problems.
Andacity
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Just remember that if your certificates are in a different name that that isnt a great idea at this stage.

You could chance your 'preferred name' (ie. what you woud like letters etc addressed to) but leave the main names as your legal name. Unless you have changed your name formally and legally having two 'personas' will cause no end of problems.
My preferred name was what I was talking about yeah, I know not to change my actual name to be something that it isn't. My legal name is going to stay the same I was just changing my preferred name
McGinger
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My preferred name was what I was talking about yeah, I know not to change my actual name to be something that it isn't. My legal name is going to stay the same I was just changing my preferred name
Just give UCAS a call.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As PQ said, I would email your choices afterwards, (or wait until you have picked your Firm and Insurance and just email those two), as they may not pick up the change from UCAS.
Andacity
Rep:
Would I be alright to solely email my firm and insurance choices without letting UCAS know, or would it be a better idea to let UCAS know as well?
Last edited by Andacity; 3 months ago
coco:)
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
On my first day of uni, everyone was asked to say their preferred names to our course convenor as a sort of register and we were also asked about it when we enrolled. I'm sure there will be similar methods for you to state your preferred name when you start your course if you are able to wait until then and if there are no issues with paperwork.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Would I be alright to solely email my firm and insurance choices without letting UCAS know, or would it be a better idea to let UCAS know as well?
If it's only your preferred name, then you can just let your uni choices know. It will mean that any comms from UCAS may have whatever you input originally, but they still have your legal name on record.
Andacity
Rep:
Alright, thank you guys so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (157)
41.98%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.45%
No (148)
39.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed