username5821248
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi. What accomodation is nearest the computer science department please? Also, is it in the city or campus? Thanks.
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi 51GCR,

Great to hear you are considering Sheffield for university!

I am currently a 3rd year Psychology student studying at the University of Sheffield and stayed in student accommodation in my first year so thought I might be able to give some advice.

We are a city university and our buildings are spread across the city - but they are all easily accessible and normally within walking distance. The computer science department is very central near the diamond building and the information commons which I would consider the central hub of the university where all the main buildings and student union are.

Accommodation wise the closest to the computer science department would be city accommodation. City accommodation is located close to the university department buildings and Sheffield city centre. It also offers a range of room types and locations for undergraduate and postgraduate students and you would be able to choose from en-suite, standard, deluxe and studio options. All city accommodation sites (Allen Court, Broad Lane Court, St Georges Flats and Studio 300) are about a five minute walk to the students union so overall you are unlikely to be more than 10 minutes away from the computer science building with whichever city accommodation you might choose.

The choice between the different city accommodation options will depend on what you are looking for. For example Allen Court is quite popular as it offers both En-suite+ and Deluxe+ rooms, it also has a common room, cinema room, games room and a customer service reception available from 8am to 7pm. St George's Flats are also en-suite. Broad Lane Court has shared bathrooms. And there is also Studio 300 which is a studio if you would rather live in a self contained flat rather than typical student halls. All of these options have different rent prices so it completely depends on what you would like to go for. As I mentioned they are all very close to one another and close to the central university buildings.

The university also has a wide range of rooms at Ranmoor/Endcliffe. This is a little further out of the city and is about a 20-25 minute walk to the students union, however there is great public transport options with the 120 bus getting you to uni in 5-10 minutes for £1 pound with your student ID. However, the choice will depend on wether you would prefer to be closer to your building and the buildings you may have lectures in, it might be good to consider the city option.

I hope this helps! Do you have any other questions about accommodation or the University of Sheffield in general?

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 3 months ago
username5821248
Rep:
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi 51GCR,

Great to hear you are considering Sheffield for university!

I am currently a 3rd year Psychology student studying at the University of Sheffield and stayed in student accommodation in my first year so thought I might be able to give some advice.

We are a city university so we don't have a campus instead our buildings are spread across the city - but they are all easily accessible and normally within walking distance. The computer science department is very central near the diamond building and the information commons which I would consider the central hub of the university where all the main buildings and student union are.

Accommodation wise the closest to the computer science department would be city accommodation. City accommodation is located close to the university department buildings and Sheffield city centre. It also offers a range of room types and locations for undergraduate and postgraduate students and you would be able to choose from en-suite, standard, deluxe and studio options. All city accommodation sites (Allen Court, Broad Lane Court, St Georges Flats and Studio 300) are about a five minute walk to the students union so overall you are unlikely to be more than 10 minutes away from the computer science building with whichever city accommodation you might choose.

The choice between the different city accommodation options will depend on what you are looking for. For example Allen Court is quite popular as it offers both En-suite+ and Deluxe+ rooms, it also has a common room, cinema room, games room and a customer service reception available from 8am to 7pm. St George's Flats are also en-suite. Broad Lane Court has shared bathrooms. And there is also Studio 300 which is a studio if you would rather live in a self contained flat rather than typical student halls. All of these options have different rent prices so it completely depends on what you would like to go for. As I mentioned they are all very close to one another and close to the central university buildings.

The university also has a wide range of rooms at Ranmoor/Endcliffe. This is a little further out of the city and is about a 20-25 minute walk to the students union, however there is great public transport options with the 120 bus getting you to uni in 5-10 minutes for £1 pound with your student ID. However, the choice will depend on wether you would prefer to be closer to your building and the buildings you may have lectures in, it might be good to consider the city option.

I hope this helps! Do you have any other questions about accommodation or the University of Sheffield in general?

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
That is a very helpful reply thank you! My son has booked to come down half term and have a look. He has an offer already. I wanted to price up accomodation re budget so needed an idea of where he’d most likely want to stay. This helps a lot!
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi 51GCR,

Not a problem I am glad I could help! Congratulations on his offer to study at Sheffield!

Having a look round the University and the accommodation options on offer is a brilliant way to get a real feel for where you will be staying and what you like - I found it really helpful so its great to hear your son is doing this soon! I hope he finds something he likes!

As I mentioned the rent prices all vary depending on what you son chooses/prefers. The university site has a list of rent prices that are usually charged which I thought might also be helpful for you, Within this website link there is also an Accommodation Fees guide which provides more information about accommodation fees and how these are paid e.g, instalment information which you might want to have a look at. I have linked it here:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommod...spective/rents

This breaks down each room types rent for the year and how long the contract would be.

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
username5821248
Rep:
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi 51GCR,

Not a problem I am glad I could help! Congratulations on his offer to study at Sheffield!

Having a look round the University and the accommodation options on offer is a brilliant way to get a real feel for where you will be staying and what you like - I found it really helpful so its great to hear your son is doing this soon! I hope he finds something he likes!

As I mentioned the rent prices all vary depending on what you son chooses/prefers. The university site has a list of rent prices that are usually charged which I thought might also be helpful for you, Within this website link there is also an Accommodation Fees guide which provides more information about accommodation fees and how these are paid e.g, instalment information which you might want to have a look at. I have linked it here:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommod...spective/rents

This breaks down each room types rent for the year and how long the contract would be.

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Just had a look at the link. That’s great thank you. We’ll have a good walk round everywhere when we visit to get an idea of where everything is. It’s so difficult at the moment as a lot of tours are outside only. He said something about another open day later on for offer holders. Maybe they’ll be allowed inside then. You’ve been very helpful, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (29)
24.17%
The paper was reasonable (54)
45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
20.83%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
10%

Watched Threads