New highway code

Watch this thread
richard10012
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I can understand the new rules for driving but if I am turning into a junction and someone is going to cross and I wait and the car behind me doesn’t see them and hits me, who fault is it
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by richard10012)
I can understand the new rules for driving but if I am turning into a junction and someone is going to cross and I wait and the car behind me doesn’t see them and hits me, who fault is it
The car that rear-ends you. It's a general rule that if you go into the back of someone, it's your 'fault', from an insurance point of view.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The idea of a car ahead of you indicating then slowing to turn shouldn't be a new one, 0 excuse for drivers to start going into the back of people.
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
the rules were made by someone without a drivers license
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Or conversely, the new rules are eminently sensible and reflect behaviours that decent drivers have been doing for decades.

"I'd like to turn but someone is crossing. Oh heavens, whatever am I to do?!"
user432
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Or conversely, the new rules are eminently sensible and reflect behaviours that decent drivers have been doing for decades.

"I'd like to turn but someone is crossing. Oh heavens, whatever am I to do?!"
on paper it sounds smart but in theory it makes no sense
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by user432)
on paper it sounds smart but in theory it makes no sense
'On paper' & 'In theory' mean the same thing, I believe you mean 'In practicality and/or reality'

But I don't see any practical issue with pausing to let someone cross a junction on foot before I turn in to it. It's pretty much what I already do as I would be slowing down for the turn and to get better visibility of where I was turning into anyway, there's no more risk of someone recklessly flying into the back of me than there ever was.

I appreciate the clarity if anything, less 'no you go first!' tit for tat and less temptation to take the corner fast to get out the pedestrians way, possibly cresting a risk for anyone walking or driving beyond as my attention is on beating that 1 person.
user432
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
'On paper' & 'In theory' mean the same thing, I believe you mean 'In practicality and/or reality'

But I don't see any practical issue with pausing to let someone cross a junction on foot before I turn in to it. It's pretty much what I already do as I would be slowing down for the turn and to get better visibility of where I was turning into anyway, there's no more risk of someone recklessly flying into the back of me than there ever was.

I appreciate the clarity if anything, less 'no you go first!' tit for tat and less temptation to take the corner fast to get out the pedestrians way, possibly cresting a risk for anyone walking or driving beyond as my attention is on beating that 1 person.
my bad but that even isnt the worst part. rear ending will be much more common as most drivers tend to stay right up your ass, so when they see you suddenly brake harshly because someones crossing the road, car go boom.
not to mention all of the cyclist rules being introduced, literal joke.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
my bad but that even isnt the worst part. rear ending will be much more common as most drivers tend to stay right up your ass, so when they see you suddenly brake harshly because someones crossing the road, car go boom.
not to mention all of the cyclist rules being introduced, literal joke.
This is my point, Why would you be stopping harshly if you were already planning to turn anyway? You don't screech to an emergency stop every time you take a turn do you? So why start now? :confused: I dunno about 'most drivers' staying up peoples ass, but I don't see any more danger of them doing that than there was before? and tailgating is already clearly covered in the same Highway Code.
user432
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
This is my point, Why would you be stopping harshly if you were already planning to turn anyway? You don't screech to an emergency stop every time you take a turn do you? So why start now? :confused: I dunno about 'most drivers' staying up peoples ass, but I don't see any more danger of them doing that than there was before? and tailgating is already clearly covered in the same Highway Code.
someone could be walking past then just change direction suddenly and what are you supposed to do? jump over them with your car? the fact the biggest, most dangerous things on the road doesn't have priority makes no sense.
Last edited by user432; 3 months ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Doesn’t the cycle stuff just put into black and white that they have priority in circumstances where your might put them in harms way? eg. Crossing a cycle lane where you should be checking for them anyway?

“If someone just changes direction”. The rules don’t change what action you should take if someone steps out, or affect the likelihood of someone rear ending you if your have to do an emergency stop. You do your best not to kill people regardless.

Of course vulnerable road users should have priority. You’re more likely to walk away from an incident than them. (And an HGV more likely to walk away from a smash with you).
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
someone could be walking past then just change direction suddenly and what are you supposed to do? jump over them with your car? the fact the biggest, most dangerous things on the road doesn't have priority makes no sense.
That's not in any way a new hypothetical problem and would always have applied... so what does it have to do with the Highway Code change? Pedestrians exist and can be unpredictable, this has always been factored into the the learning, legislation and drivers responsibility.

This is just my take, but this seems to be aimed at quieter residential areas where it could be argued residents do have a greater right of way than through traffic... so unless you want to add (and maintain) traffic lights and crossings to every single side street... drivers might need to be bit more considerate. 'Right of Way' doesn't tend to mean much to pedestrians and at the end of the day a pedestrian rushing across a junction is mostly putting themselves at risk... a driver doing the same it putting potentially more at greater risk and it's a lot easier to hold them accountable.
user432
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
fairs
ThomH97
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I don't like the idea of every junction having invisible zebra crossings. I would far rather pedestrians be aware of their surroundings (no headphones, not staring at their phone), and vehicles having to indicate. Perhaps it'll just take some getting used to if someone's slowing to turn and suddenly slams on the brakes as a jogger takes full advantage of their right of way at a junction with some lamp posts or adverts, but I think that's more dangerous in several ways.

While the Dutch reach is a good idea for better visibility, I can see it being impractical for many people. The rotation you have to put on your body and then pushing the weight of your door with probably your weaker hand in that compromised position is going to be physically difficult and probably a nightmare for anyone's back in the long term.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Public always had right of way if crossing road as nothing new.
Idiot behind should be watching the road ahead of him and therefore wouldn't be rear ending you but it happens.

Same as giving horses right of way always been there as majority of horse riders do wave you through if road clear ahead.
GodAtum
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
With cyclists now hogging the road legally the buses I'm on can't overtake, which is very annoying!
user432
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
the buses I'm on
hxnnxhgreen
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The person who hits you up the arse
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Or to put it another way, in all your years of driving, has a situation ever occurred where the car ahead indicated, but then either halted or dawdled mid-turn because of some unexpected obstruction? If so, what action did you take?

A) Smashed into the back of them
B) Slowed down and/or stopped to give them time to do whatever they were doing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
38.81%
The paper was reasonable (22)
32.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (13)
19.4%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
8.96%

Watched Threads