University wants a copy of my passport

Watch this thread
pizzapasta65
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Ok so i dont live in the UK but i'M TRYING TO GET AN OFFER via email from this unviersity and they asked for my igcse results and my passport and i sent them that gladly and when i told my mother she yelled at me for sending a copy of my passport over the internet to a stranger and now im paranoid that hes gonna do something bad to me like its the official email from someone from the university's student enrolment team advisor thing but im still scared
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pizzapasta65)
Ok so i dont live in the UK but i'M TRYING TO GET AN OFFER via email from this unviersity and they asked for my igcse results and my passport and i sent them that gladly and when i told my mother she yelled at me for sending a copy of my passport over the internet to a stranger and now im paranoid that hes gonna do something bad to me like its the official email from someone from the university's student enrolment team advisor thing but im still scared
Whilst in general its a good idea not to send official documents via email unless strictly necessary, in this case your mother is being a bit over the top.

You were expecting contact from the uni. The request came from an official uni email address (presumably). It contained personal info, (such as your name or ID). It was reasonable to expect them to want to check this info relating to your fee status.

Wait until she's calmed down and explain this to her.
Last edited by Admit-One; 3 months ago
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you know where and why you sent it... then it's not really to a stranger, it's to a named professional asking in the course of your application and covered by various data protection and privacy rules and legislation.

If t's a stranger on Whatsapp or such saying 'PLS SEND PASSPORT WE WILL SEND FREE SEX AND MONEY, THIS NOT SCAM' then that's a bit different.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Your ma's being a fool. It's standard practice for admissions teams to request copies of passports from international students. Nothing bad will happen.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
If t's a stranger on Whatsapp or such saying 'PLS SEND PASSPORT WE WILL SEND FREE SEX AND MONEY, THIS NOT SCAM' then that's a bit different.
Hmm. I may have made a terrible mistake.
University of Salford
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pizzapasta65)
Hi pizzapasta65,

Try not to worry too much - it's really normal that the University will ask for this if you're really concerned, you could always ask the team about how they handle their data?

Hope you get it sorted!

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (0)
0%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (2)
22.22%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (1)
11.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (2)
22.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
22.22%

Watched Threads