The Student Room Group

PGCE

Hi, how hard are PGCE courses it get into to gain a QTS? Should I do an undergraduate degree instead to gain a QTS - would it be easier?
Original post by hanna2004
Hi, how hard are PGCE courses it get into to gain a QTS? Should I do an undergraduate degree instead to gain a QTS - would it be easier?

It's about equal. I assume you're interested in primary teaching?

If you already have an undergraduate degree, you should go for the PGCE route.

If you don't yet have an undergraduate degree, then you have two main options:

1) Do an undergraduate degree in Primary Education with QTS. This will be the quickest way to become a qualified teacher, as it will only take 3 years. However, if you decide midway through your degree that teaching isn't for you, you may feel more 'limited' in career options afterwards. If you are certain you want to teach, it's worth doing this route though.

2) Do any undergraduate degree, and then afterwards do a one-year teacher training course to gain QTS. This would usually take 4 years (3 years undergrad + 1 year teacher training). It's probably the better route if you're not totally set on teaching, or if there's a subject you really enjoy that you would like to do an undergraduate degree in before moving onto more specific teacher training. If you're wanting to become a secondary teacher rather than primary, this is the more usual route.
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
It's about equal. I assume you're interested in primary teaching?

If you already have an undergraduate degree, you should go for the PGCE route.

If you don't yet have an undergraduate degree, then you have two main options:

1) Do an undergraduate degree in Primary Education with QTS. This will be the quickest way to become a qualified teacher, as it will only take 3 years. However, if you decide midway through your degree that teaching isn't for you, you may feel more 'limited' in career options afterwards. If you are certain you want to teach, it's worth doing this route though.

2) Do any undergraduate degree, and then afterwards do a one-year teacher training course to gain QTS. This would usually take 4 years (3 years undergrad + 1 year teacher training). It's probably the better route if you're not totally set on teaching, or if there's a subject you really enjoy that you would like to do an undergraduate degree in before moving onto more specific teacher training. If you're wanting to become a secondary teacher rather than primary, this is the more usual route.

Thanks :smile: I do want to be a primary teacher, but I haven’t been able to get the experience in a primary school due to covid!
Original post by hanna2004
Thanks :smile: I do want to be a primary teacher, but I haven’t been able to get the experience in a primary school due to covid!

You should consider contacting Get Into Teaching to see if they can help you secure some school experience, as it's really beneficial.
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
You should consider contacting Get Into Teaching to see if they can help you secure some school experience, as it's really beneficial.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending