Can I still get into a highly ranked University with poor GCSEs?

Watch this thread
username5890578
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
When I was in years 10-11 I struggled with school work due to losing my father and started not taking school seriously. I was predicted 6s and 7s all around in previous years, but my grades kept falling until I had 5s, 4s and 3s at GCSE, including a 3 in English Literature, 4 in English language, 4-3 in combined science and 4 in Maths. Not great.
I don't think the pandemic helped either as I had the silly mindset of "these are just mocks, they won't affect my GCSEs... they did lol

Once I barely got into 6th form, particularly the 2nd year, I started working harder and took an extended course to get my UCAS points up, I'm predicted 144 UCAS points (AAA).

I applied for digital media or very similar courses at a range of universities which allowed my low level grades at GCSE, the higher ones include Leeds, Sheffield and Exeter.

Do I have a chance of getting into these Unis? As long as I get a conditional offer I don't see why it would be a problem.
Feel free to be brutally honest.

Thanks!
Last edited by username5890578; 3 months ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AlexAyy)
When I was in years 10-11 I struggled with school work due to losing my father and started not taking school seriously. I was predicted 6s and 7s all around in previous years, but my grades kept falling until I had 5s, 4s and 3s at GCSE, including a 3 in English Literature, 4 in English language, 4-3 in combined science and 4 in Maths. Not great.
I don't think the pandemic helped either as I had the silly mindset of "these are just mocks, they won't affect my GCSEs... they did lol

Once I barely got into 6th form, particularly the 2nd year, I started working harder and took an extended course to get my UCAS points up, I'm predicted 144 UCAS points (AAA).

I applied for digital media or very similar courses at a range of universities which allowed my low level grades at GCSE, the higher ones include Leeds, Sheffield and Exeter.

Do I have a chance of getting into these Unis? As long as I get a conditional offer I don't see why it would be a problem.

Thanks!
Yes you have a chance unless any of them want 5 or better in English and maths.
hehehehsiuuu
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yes if you looked at all the grade requirements and you meet it all then your fine
Last edited by hehehehsiuuu; 3 months ago
username5890578
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Yes you have a chance unless any of them want 5 or better in English and maths.
I made sure to only apply for the ones which require 4 or better, so hopefully I'm good.
Thank you very much!
username5890578
Rep:
(Original post by hehehehsiuuu)
yes if you looked at all the grade requirements and you meet it all then your fine
Awesome, thanks man.
Also nice username... Inshallah hehehe siiiiuuuuu
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I made sure to only apply for the ones which require 4 or better, so hopefully I'm good.
Thank you very much!
Good. You'd be surprised how many people don't check GCSE requirements!
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If they are asking for 4 in Eng and Maths then it's very unlikely they will be closely assessing the rest of your GCSE profile to make a decision. In short, I think you have every reason to be considered.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Thanks!
Hey AlexAyy

Your GCSEs will not stop you from getting into a good university. Although I'm not sure about, like, the top five universities, it really is about your A-Levels when it comes to applying and UCAS. I didn't get amazing GCSEs and this didn't stop me from getting offers from multiple universities. I think you need at least a 4 in English and Maths to be considered, as you do have to put your GCSEs down somewhere, but your A-Levels are the real deal.

As long as you work hard now and have a good personal statement, I think you'll be fine.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Quinn - Student Ambassador
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Thanks!
As long as you reach the specific GCSE grade requirements then you are fine - well down for your A level predicted grades.
username5890578
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
As long as you reach the specific GCSE grade requirements then you are fine - well down for your A level predicted grades.
thanks, unfortunately they're not the best subjects, but they do add up in ucas points.

Distinction / A in Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (like an A-level and a half) - 72 UCAS Points

B in Finance (apparently LIBF isn't as highly respect among top Unis, but hopefully I should be ok) - 40 UCAS Points

Merit in IT (although I could potentially get a distinction) - 32 UCAS Points

Total - 144 / AAA.

The main course I'm after is digital media in Leeds as it looks like the one I would enjoy the most (ABB).
My personal statement is pretty decent as I talk about my expirence in video editing, passion for the subject, video I worked on which reach 8 million views and some other small unique stuff. I stressed over it, but I'm really hoping it works out.
Last edited by username5890578; 3 months ago
username5890578
Rep:
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey AlexAyy

Your GCSEs will not stop you from getting into a good university. Although I'm not sure about, like, the top five universities, it really is about your A-Levels when it comes to applying and UCAS. I didn't get amazing GCSEs and this didn't stop me from getting offers from multiple universities. I think you need at least a 4 in English and Maths to be considered, as you do have to put your GCSEs down somewhere, but your A-Levels are the real deal.

As long as you work hard now and have a good personal statement, I think you'll be fine.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
Quinn - Student Ambassador
thank you very much for the reassurance!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
thanks, unfortunately they're not the best subjects, but they do add up in ucas points.

Distinction / A in Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (like an A-level and a half) - 72 UCAS Points

B in Finance (apparently LIBF isn't as highly respect among top Unis, but hopefully I should be ok) - 40 UCAS Points

Merit in IT (although I could potentially get a distinction) - 32 UCAS Points

Total - 144 / AAA.

The main course I'm after is digital media in Leeds as it looks like the one I would enjoy the most (ABB).
My personal statement is pretty decent as I talk about my expirence in video editing, passion for the subject, video I worked on which reach 8 million views and some other small unique stuff. I stressed over it, but I'm really hoping it works out.
These are a very different set of qualifications and to be honest I dont know how the universities will treat them. Universities usually count best 3 A level subjects for UCAS points and it seems you are including 3 and 1/2. I would suggest given the subjects you are taking you ask the universities themselves as it isnt quite like having 144 points from 3 A levels or an extended BTEC. The university will be better able to advise what they will and wont accept in your combination
username5890578
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
These are a very different set of qualifications and to be honest I dont know how the universities will treat them. Universities usually count best 3 A level subjects for UCAS points and it seems you are including 3 and 1/2. I would suggest given the subjects you are taking you ask the universities themselves as it isnt quite like having 144 points from 3 A levels or an extended BTEC. The university will be better able to advise what they will and wont accept in your combination
Well ****. It's a bit late for me to ask everything because I've already applied to all of them, hopefully, I'll get slightly lucky, not feeling great though :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.39%
The paper was reasonable (134)
37.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.09%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise