Am I overreacting?

Watch this thread
YuanG
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m a mature student doing Access course at the moment.

Last year our tutor asked us to write personal statement. I wrote about how my mum’s illness drove me to medicine area, all the volunteering works I have done and how those influenced me for working in healthcare and my understanding about life.

When he read it, he pointed at a word that he couldn’t understand and claimed that is not English. I googled it in front of him and that is a English word after all.

It might not be a very good first draft I must admit. English is not my first language.

After that he laughed about my ps in front of the class. He called it a ‘creative writing’ and said I should hand this to English teacher as the assignment for creative writing unit.

When the tutorial was about to finish, he saw my phone and accused me for not change my system setting into English.

Despite all that, he gave me no advice on how to improve my ps.

And after half a year now, I still couldn’t edit my ps ever again. I can’t help think that I talked about all the pain and confusion changed my view about healthcare and life, while the people who read it will see it as a story I made up.

What should I write then? How I lead a frisbee team and worked on student club’s social media?

I haven’t talked with my tutor about this, cuz I don’t think I can control myself in front of him. I will probably just cry.

Am I overreacting?
Last edited by YuanG; 3 months ago
squirrelmonkey12
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hey there,
No. I don't think you overreacted.
Clearly you've been through some hardships and that teacher should definitely not have treated you as he did.
Maybe mention less about your mum's illness. Sadly, the readers will be more interested in your skills than your personal experiences. You can perhaps explain in one line of two that it led you to volunteering but maybe focus more on the volunteering itself and how much you've learned for it and maybe how much you enjoy it.
Yes, mention the frisbee team and the social media club. It'll show that you have leadership skills and that you are a well-rounded individual.
You need to explain why you're right for the role. Maybe mention also that due to your mum's illness you have new and impactful ideas which makes you stand out from others.
As insensitive as that tutor is, he is right in one regard-it can't sound like a story. It has to be able your skills and abilities and why you will be a great asset to medicine.

Also what was the word he pointed out as wrong and what was the context? Don't send me the whole statement, just the sentence or phrase. I might be able to help.

I hope that helps and good luck! :-)
Last edited by squirrelmonkey12; 3 months ago
YuanG
Rep:
(Original post by squirrelmonkey12)
Hey there,
No. I don't think you overreacted.
Clearly you've been through some hardships and that teacher should definitely not have treated you as he did.
Maybe mention less about your mum's illness. Sadly, the readers will be more interested in your skills than your personal experiences. You can perhaps explain in one line of two that it led you to volunteering but maybe focus more on the volunteering itself and how much you've learned for it and maybe how much you enjoy it.
Yes, mention the frisbee team and the social media club. It'll show that you have leadership skills and that you are a well-rounded individual.
You need to explain why you're right for the role. Maybe mention also that due to your mum's illness you have new and impactful ideas which makes you stand out from others.
As insensitive as that tutor is, he is right in one regard-it can't sound like a story. It has to be able your skills and abilities and why you will be a great asset to medicine.

Also what was the word he pointed out as wrong and what was the context? Don't send me the whole statement, just the sentence or phrase. I might be able to help.

I hope that helps and good luck! :-)
That word is not used very frequently nowadays and I have changed it. But it is a English word after all.
I didn’t talk about my mum very much in the ps to be honest, mainly just said she triggered my interests in diseases and medicine.
It feels hard to face him and my ps after this but I really need to get that done. I’m blaming myself for writing a *****y ps and over sensitive. It is good to know how he talked to me is not right. Thank you.
squirrelmonkey12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by YuanG)
That word is not used very frequently nowadays and I have changed it. But it is a English word after all.
I didn’t talk about my mum very much in the ps to be honest, mainly just said she triggered my interests in diseases and medicine.
It feels hard to face him and my ps after this but I really need to get that done. I’m blaming myself for writing a *****y ps and over sensitive. It is good to know how he talked to me is not right. Thank you.
Maybe write him an e-mail? Say that the last session didn't go great but you're feeling anxious about your Personal Statement and ask if he's willing to check it over with you.
YuanG
Rep:
(Original post by squirrelmonkey12)
Maybe write him an e-mail? Say that the last session didn't go great but you're feeling anxious about your Personal Statement and ask if he's willing to check it over with you.
I’m considering that. I have found a lady from our student centre that can help with my ps. After getting a better draft I believe I will contact him for another session.
squirrelmonkey12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by YuanG)
I’m considering that. I have found a lady from our student centre that can help with my ps. After getting a better draft I believe I will contact him for another session.
Ok, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (139)
43.71%
Not yet, but I will soon (55)
17.3%
No (124)
38.99%

Watched Threads