Antidepressants SSRI

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi

I’m having to consider taking antidepressants or not. Had persistent and severe depression since before I was even a teen. Have bad anxiety too. I’m worried about taking it and feeling worse or not recognising myself. Also feel ashamed I have to be on meds and I’m broken. My parents have been on them for a lot of my life. I feel like I’m ‘like them’ and it’s horrible. Have a friend who was on them and their life went off the rails.I don’t have counselling and can’t access it for a long time.

Do you have experience with it? Any advice?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Yes people can feel distanced from themselves and it is normal to feel worse before it gets better but you may also be perfectly fine.
I’ve been on them 5 months and had absolutely no problems
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I’m having to consider taking antidepressants or not. Had persistent and severe depression since before I was even a teen. Have bad anxiety too. I’m worried about taking it and feeling worse or not recognising myself. Also feel ashamed I have to be on meds and I’m broken. My parents have been on them for a lot of my life. I feel like I’m ‘like them’ and it’s horrible. Have a friend who was on them and their life went off the rails.I don’t have counselling and can’t access it for a long time.

i've been on and off antidepressants for nearly a year... if you experience really bad side effects you can always stop taking them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
i've been on and off antidepressants for nearly a year... if you experience really bad side effects you can always stop taking them.
From what I’ve seen from ur threads tho they haven’t helped solved many problems not to sound judgemental would be good to hear in what ways they’ve helped? I don’t have counselling support alongside this
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hi

They helped me get out of bed in the morning at least. And I’d call this a win. Just try them for a few months if you don’t find it beneficial then you can always stop taking them.
Ciel.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
From what I’ve seen from ur threads tho they haven’t helped solved many problems not to sound judgemental would be good to hear in what ways they’ve helped? I don’t have counselling support alongside this
lol, it's fine.
they sorta helped with my mood last time? and got rid of my intrusive sui thoughts? so yeah that's why i'm on back on antidepressants. don't even care about the side effects as much anymore..
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
lol, it's fine.
they sorta helped with my mood last time? and got rid of my intrusive sui thoughts? so yeah that's why i'm on back on antidepressants. don't even care about the side effects as much anymore..
Do u mind me asking what side effects you got? Glad to hear they helped with some of your problems
Ciel.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Do u mind me asking what side effects you got? Glad to hear they helped with some of your problems
they make me sleepy and tired. and sorta really numb my emotions
username5839543
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I took Prozac and it made me a lot worse. I couldn't sleep, my mood was far lower than it's ever been, I felt extremely anxious. It was completely disabling. I think side effects that are that severe are really rare though. I was messing about with the dosages and stuff as well because I struggle with capsules and liquid meds make me feel sick, so that's never going to help.

I also took sertraline for a couple of years. I didn't notice much change but when I eventually discontinued it, I did notice an increase in anxiety. Didn't experience any side effects.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
I took Prozac and it made me a lot worse. I couldn't sleep, my mood was far lower than it's ever been, I felt extremely anxious. It was completely disabling. I think side effects that are that severe are really rare though. I was messing about with the dosages and stuff as well because I struggle with capsules and liquid meds make me feel sick, so that's never going to help.

I also took sertraline for a couple of years. I didn't notice much change but when I eventually discontinued it, I did notice an increase in anxiety. Didn't experience any side effects.
sertraline is the thing they’re trying to put me on too so the increased anxiety Is that common? Mine is really severe right now any worse and I will never leave the house
Ciel.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

it has the exact opposite effect on me (it makes me super sleepy). isn't it weird how one drug can have such a drastically different effect on people
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
sertraline is the thing they’re trying to put me on too so the increased anxiety Is that common? Mine is really severe right now any worse and I will never leave the house
I don't think increased anxiety with sertraline is common. It's meant to be a good drug for anxiety. I know that some people find that their mental health gets worse before it gets better on SSRIs. There will be a leaflet enclosed in the meds box which details possible side effects. Really your GP should be going through possible side effects with you. Ultimately though you won't know how you are going to react until you've tried it.

If it doesn't work for you, there are other things they can try you on.
Anonymous #1
I don't think increased anxiety with sertraline is common. It's meant to be a good drug for anxiety. I know that some people find that their mental health gets worse before it gets better on SSRIs. There will be a leaflet enclosed in the meds box which details possible side effects. Really your GP should be going through possible side effects with you. Ultimately though you won't know how you are going to react until you've tried it.

If it doesn't work for you, there are other things they can try you on.
Yeah they mentioned it could worsen somethings for the first couple of weeks. I’m worried cause I’m at a crucial point in my life applying and interviewing for jobs and making massive decisions can’t afford my mental health dipping even more than it has been. Just scared
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
it has the exact opposite effect on me (it makes me super sleepy). isn't it weird how one drug can have such a drastically different effect on people
It's bizarre.
For myself I am really cautious about psyc meds because my body reacts in such widely unpredictable ways and the rare side effects always happen to me.
I took rispiridone for a while and no matter how good my sleep hygiene was or the amount of that benzo like sleeping tablet which I forget the name of/ lorazipam/ sedative anti histamine which I can't remember, I couldn't sleep. Most people would be made sleepy by it too.
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah they mentioned it could worsen somethings for the first couple of weeks. I’m worried cause I’m at a crucial point in my life applying and interviewing for jobs and making massive decisions can’t afford my mental health dipping even more than it has been. Just scared
Can you afford to put your job hunt on a hold for a couple of weeks if needs be? How good are you at faking well?
It's totally understandable that you feel scared.
Anonymous #1
Can you afford to put your job hunt on a hold for a couple of weeks if needs be? How good are you at faking well?
It's totally understandable that you feel scared.
I could afford financially if U mean that but psychologically I’d feel useless doing nothing as I need to leave my living situation asap and can’t do it until I have a better paying job… even without the meds now it’s the hardest thing.Good at faking what?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can always stop them if they don't work for you. You won't lose anything by trying them whereas there is the possibility that they may work brilliantly for you if you give them a shot.
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I could afford financially if U mean that but psychologically I’d feel useless doing nothing as I need to leave my living situation asap and can’t do it until I have a better paying job… even without the meds now it’s the hardest thing.Good at faking what?
God yeah I understand that. Depression would probably love to latch on to something like that.
Faking not being depressed/ anxious?
Anonymous #1
God yeah I understand that. Depression would probably love to latch on to something like that.
Faking not being depressed/ anxious?
Ha very true… actually no I’m not great, with anxiety I try to look like a brick wall , go silent instead of jittery and stuff. Depression is hard to hide as I try to fake smiles and have expression in my voice but actually it’s like a thousand bricks are stopping my face from even pulling a small smile. It’s so heavy does it make sense

Do you have tips or advice on hiding it better at work and things?
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Best thing that happened to my life was meds. They made everything almost 98% problems disappear.
There’s that 2% of my OCD that still remains and a bit of my depression although I wouldn’t say depression, I just always daydream and think the unbelievable like being a superhero or being in another world where life will be more interesting which makes my life seem quite dull in comparison. That’s what makes me sad.
Definitely try meds. Also, give meds 6 months to work. 3 months is too little. I didn’t want to be on meds because of the stigma but I see them as the medicine of God and what has helped me.
Maybe it’s because I use 3 types of meds I saw such an improvement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads