How to make new friends outside of uni ?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m a 20 year old male, I failed to make friends in six forms despite having friends in high school, I was worried about talking to people and never established any friendships for those two years, I went to Leeds uni however it was online due to the Pandemic and I decided to drop out, I’m now studying at the open uni, it’s been over a two years since I had any friends, how can I make new friends outside of university? Where would I even meet them ?
Maritoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hello,
It's difficult to make friends as you get older, friendship's start to require more maintenance and effort than when you saw people 5 days a week for 30+ weeks. That being said, it's not impossible.
Have you checked out the Open University's student association? They have links to societies you can join. That could allow you to meet people with similar interests to you. They also have a page on volunteering which again would allow you to meet new people while hopefully doing something meaningful.
You could also look at volunteering in your local area.
Other things are getting a part-time job, if you're able to, this again allows you to meet new people.
Maybe reach out to some of the people you used to know, as they could also be in the same situation.
I hope this helps though I am aware you may already have thought about these suggestions.
Last edited by Maritoo; 3 months ago
UnknownsOpinion
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m a 20 year old male, I failed to make friends in six forms despite having friends in high school, I was worried about talking to people and never established any friendships for those two years, I went to Leeds uni however it was online due to the Pandemic and I decided to drop out, I’m now studying at the open uni, it’s been over a two years since I had any friends, how can I make new friends outside of university? Where would I even meet them ?
I'm not sure how the open university works but are there not any forums on social media that you can look into. You can also use Facebook to find forums you're interested in and make friends potentially online.
And as mentioned in a previous post volunteering or getting a part-time job may allow you to meet new people and not interfere with uni too much.
unknown300
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would probably suggest part-time jobs, you can meet people on social media too. Considering you've struggled in the past I can see why it might be difficult to make friends outside open uni. I'm 21 and I don't mind being your friend, PM me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.03%
It went fairly well (239)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.91%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed