GCSEs, Latin or Classics

Watch this thread
username5903836
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Should I study Latin or Classics for my GCSEs? Which is more useful in the future? By the way, I want to be a lawyer
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Either is good. It doesn’t matter for GCSEs. If you’re good on languages and can get a grade 7-9 then do Latin if not choose classics.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Neither of those subjects are directly applicable to studying or practicing law. Latin is only tangentially relevant and you won't miss out if you don't understand Latin, anyway. So do whatever you think you're going to get the best grade in.
Last edited by ROTL94 2; 3 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Neither is more useful for law. In fact no GCSEs are really specifically useful for doing a law degree later, so as above pick whichever you think is most interesting and/or which you think you'll get the best result in.

Latin would be better if you might want to do a classics degree later though (or similar ancient languages degree). Bear in mind also you can become a solicitor or barrister with any undergraduate degree, not just a law degree (something like 50% of solicitors currently practicing have a non-law degree for their UG degree). You don't even need to do a conversion course to become a solicitor anymore specifically, as all those wanting to become a solicitor have to sit the SQE regardless of first degree.
username5903836
Rep:
Should I study History or Geography in my GCSEs? I want to be a lawyer
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The one you enjoy the most and can get high grades in
username5903836
Rep:
I want to be a lawyer and I'm not sure what GCSEs I should take. I have to take Maths, Science, Theology / Philosophy, English lang, English lit and Spanish. Which else should I take - I need to choose 3 more
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Please don't make several different threads to ask variations on this same question...

As noted in your other thread your GCSE subjects do not matter whatsoever in whatever you may later do as a career. Universities only care directly about your GCSEs grades, not what subjects they were in, and employers care even less about them. The only except is for certain core subjects (normally maths and English language) which often a minimum grade is required by both unis and employers.

Just pick whatever you think you'll get a good grade in and will enjoy studying. No university admissions tutor is going to waste their time umming and ahhing over whether an applicant did or didn't take a specific GCSE subject, especially for a course like law which has no prerequisites.
15colesch
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Im about to study Classics with an offer from Cambridge, so i may be biased, but taking Latin GCSE was the best decision i made!! Its a different experience to doing a modern language and there's not another GCSE like it, so its a good asset I do ClassCiv for A Level now but didn't take it at GCSE, and its completely fine - id say do Latin now for more opportunities later (Classics degree, A Level Latin, then you could do ClassCiv A Level easily if you want to later). Latin is probably more appreciated than ClassCiv for GCSE too.. id definitely say Latin. Or you could always do both haha
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As others have said, if you want to do law, there really isn't any specific GCSE requirements for that. Looking at the sixth form college my daughter will be attending, their only requirement for A Level Law is GCSE English Language, so just pick whichever GCSE subjects you like best.

Out of Latin and Class Civ, that depends if you prefer history based subjects, or language based subjects. You know your own strengths and weaknesses, so play to that.

You have asked in this thread three times which GCSEs you should take. People have already said it doesn't matter. As long as you have English Language and Maths, the others are entirely up to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads