can i turn my grades around before may?!

Watch this thread
TTAva2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My mock grades havent been the best. Ok theyve never been good. Took my first ones in yr 10 told myself I was gonna revise never idd. Ended up with 1s 2s 3s 4s and a U. Took another set in nov but I got cdovid and was 2to lazy to revise so I failed my mocks and got a U in higher maths so now I've been puti n foundation. The mocks I've taken recently in Dec/ jan I got:
Biology:4
Chemistry: JUST scraped a 4
Maths: 3
Eng lit: 5
History:3
Sports Science: U
Spanish: 1
I did revise for most of these subjects except maths because I thought I could easily pass foundation and hopefully be moved back onto higher. I will admit I only revised like one or two days before and skimmed over the content with flasdhcards and seneca. Hoped I would get 5s but the questions were soo difficult. My teachers are all telling me im not capable of doing well and I'm probably going to be entered for ofundation for all my core subjects even though I really do not want to be capped at a 5. Esepcially when my math teacher bascially called me dumb. I want to prove her wrong and get a 9 in maths and atleast 6s and above but now im worried myself even if i try a little more I owont be able. Ive always been a C student. Since year 7 I've never gotten As in my tests befroe. What makes me think I can do i now? I really really want to turn my grades around into 7s-9s (idrc about spanish and sports sicnece tho) do I still have enough time? I've got about 4 months till gcses and we have mocks in march. Im thinking if I can get a 5 in the foundation papers I'll be entered for higher in the real thing. I struggle ALOT with procastination and depression and laziness but I've got to find someway to get rid of it because I honestrly dont want to end up with Cs at gcses. My family has high expectations. Do I stand a chance..?
anaturner
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TTAva2000)
My mock grades havent been the best. Ok theyve never been good. Took my first ones in yr 10 told myself I was gonna revise never idd. Ended up with 1s 2s 3s 4s and a U. Took another set in nov but I got cdovid and was 2to lazy to revise so I failed my mocks and got a U in higher maths so now I've been puti n foundation. The mocks I've taken recently in Dec/ jan I got:
I did revise for most of these subjects except maths because I thought I could easily pass foundation and hopefully be moved back onto higher. I will admit I only revised like one or two days before and skimmed over the content with flasdhcards and seneca. Hoped I would get 5s but the questions were soo difficult. My teachers are all telling me im not capable of doing well and I'm probably going to be entered for ofundation for all my core subjects even though I really do not want to be capped at a 5. Esepcially when my math teacher bascially called me dumb. I want to prove her wrong and get a 9 in maths and atleast 6s and above but now im worried myself even if i try a little more I owont be able. Ive always been a C student. Since year 7 I've never gotten As in my tests befroe. What makes me think I can do i now? I really really want to turn my grades around into 7s-9s (idrc about spanish and sports sicnece tho) do I still have enough time? I've got about 4 months till gcses and we have mocks in march. Im thinking if I can get a 5 in the foundation papers I'll be entered for higher in the real thing. I struggle ALOT with procastination and depression and laziness but I've got to find someway to get rid of it because I honestrly dont want to end up with Cs at gcses. My family has high expectations. Do I stand a chance..?
Yes.. you can 100000% pull this around. (To an extent), GCSEs aren't measuring some innate, 'natural' intelligence, they are measuring who has put in the time and who wants it the most. If you genuinely want this, it's doable. Really focus on the end goal, create a revision timetable, find out where you work the best (for me it's cafes, for others it's staying late after school, libraries, bedrooms etc). and stick to it.

Now of course you're doing lots of subjects, so it won't be easy, but it also won't be impossible. DO PRACTICE QUESTIONS! Biggest piece of advice!!!

But also, GCSEs aren't the be all and end all. I'd focus most on English and maths because those are the most important two, but other than that, it's okay if you dont get the grades you want. I'm not saying getting top grades wouldn't be an incredible achievement, because don't get me wrong it would be something to be super proud of it, but ultimately it's not gonna completely change the course of your life.

Are you planning on doing A-levels? If so, which ones?

Keep going - motivation truly is the most important thing to have in order to achieve your GCSEs... a good memory, good resources etc. come secondary to this.

Prove your teachers wrong - I believe in you.

GCSEs are ultimately a memory test, just go over and over the spec, mark schemes, and the content and you can do this.
Elisabeth Hughes
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
First of all, don't listen to anyone who calls you 'dumb.' Grades are not reflective of your intelligence, nor should someone with a safeguarding responsibility ever say that to one of their students.

Secondly, it could be that your way of revision is affecting your performance. How did you revise for your latest set of mocks? Sometimes it isn't really about the time spent but the method. Have you tried active recall techniques such as revision cards, mind maps etc? I know it all seems trivial, but you've still got bags of time to work out what it is that works for your brain specifically.

However, please do not sacrifice your mental health for exams. At the end of the day, your wellbeing should be a priority over any external factor. I understand the stress though of having a family with high expectations - but I'm sure they'd rather have you well and happy than stressed and pushed to the limit.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific cause for your procrastination and depression? Speaking from a personal perspective, I struggled for years with similar issues, and recently I found out many of my symptoms align with that of ADHD. Perhaps it's worth speaking to a medical professional about these problems, because it really isn't "laziness" if you genuinely cannot help it. Don't beat yourself up about it, everybody is wired differently, and sometimes it takes someone else to lay out these differences in order to overcome and manage them.

In terms of your goals of As, is there any specific reasoning behind it? Is it a specific A-Level course, or is it more about fulfilling the expectations of your family? Without sounding overly sentimental, if it's the latter, the only thing you need to do is exist, and live. If your family's expectations are stifling you and making you feel unwell, then it doesn't sound like the best thing suited for you. Maybe speak to them about this academic pressure you're feeling - you may find that it alleviates a lot of the associated stress.

Best of luck. :-)
HousesInCork
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling. It's been a rough time to be a student and especially going through GCSEs which are stressful enough in normal times. Have you expressed your concerns and struggles with your studying and mental health to your school and trusted adults? They should be able to provide you extra support if they aren't already and talk through with you what the best course of action is in regards to your studies and general wellbeing.

Secondly, I do still think you have time to turn things around, at least to ensure you get to 4/5s in all your baseline subjects (English, Maths, Science). You're pretty much there anyways, judging by your mocks. Not that you can't do better than this, ofc! But if you get at least 5s in these, it's a good start for most things 16+.
What do you want to do after school? Do you have particular courses/work in mind that you might need 6+ for in certain GCSE subjects? Or a certain number of subjects at 6+? Have a serious and honest think about which subjects you need/are capable of getting at 6+ for the higher level papers. You'll need to work hard and be motivated but you've still got time if you apply yourself. Be careful not to overstretch yourself or spread yourself too thin by trying to jump too many levels in too many subjects at once, however. You'll just end up burnt out and not having enough time to cover all the material you need. Focus on the most important subjects (for you and your future) and those which you are closest to improving in. And try talking it through with a trusted teacher or family member.
parthenocarpy
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can definitely turn it around 100%, but you have to start today! Like literally today! And revise content everyday till your exams, if you do not have this level of discipline your grades wouldn't change significantly. Or if by any luck they do, they'll come back down 🛬.
TTAva2000
Rep:
(Original post by anaturner)
Yes.. you can 100000% pull this around. (To an extent), GCSEs aren't measuring some innate, 'natural' intelligence, they are measuring who has put in the time and who wants it the most. If you genuinely want this, it's doable. Really focus on the end goal, create a revision timetable, find out where you work the best (for me it's cafes, for others it's staying late after school, libraries, bedrooms etc). and stick to it.

Now of course you're doing lots of subjects, so it won't be easy, but it also won't be impossible. DO PRACTICE QUESTIONS! Biggest piece of advice!!!

But also, GCSEs aren't the be all and end all. I'd focus most on English and maths because those are the most important two, but other than that, it's okay if you dont get the grades you want. I'm not saying getting top grades wouldn't be an incredible achievement, because don't get me wrong it would be something to be super proud of it, but ultimately it's not gonna completely change the course of your life.

Are you planning on doing A-levels? If so, which ones?

Keep going - motivation truly is the most important thing to have in order to achieve your GCSEs... a good memory, good resources etc. come secondary to this.

Prove your teachers wrong - I believe in you.

GCSEs are ultimately a memory test, just go over and over the spec, mark schemes, and the content and you can do this.
Yes I want to do english lang and lit law and business but I need a 6 in maths which is why I hope i can prove to them I am capable of doing higher.
Thank you so much for the advice I'm going to take it and really will prove them wrong!
TTAva2000
Rep:
(Original post by Elisabeth Hughes)
First of all, don't listen to anyone who calls you 'dumb.' Grades are not reflective of your intelligence, nor should someone with a safeguarding responsibility ever say that to one of their students.

Secondly, it could be that your way of revision is affecting your performance. How did you revise for your latest set of mocks? Sometimes it isn't really about the time spent but the method. Have you tried active recall techniques such as revision cards, mind maps etc? I know it all seems trivial, but you've still got bags of time to work out what it is that works for your brain specifically.

However, please do not sacrifice your mental health for exams. At the end of the day, your wellbeing should be a priority over any external factor. I understand the stress though of having a family with high expectations - but I'm sure they'd rather have you well and happy than stressed and pushed to the limit.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific cause for your procrastination and depression? Speaking from a personal perspective, I struggled for years with similar issues, and recently I found out many of my symptoms align with that of ADHD. Perhaps it's worth speaking to a medical professional about these problems, because it really isn't "laziness" if you genuinely cannot help it. Don't beat yourself up about it, everybody is wired differently, and sometimes it takes someone else to lay out these differences in order to overcome and manage them.

In terms of your goals of As, is there any specific reasoning behind it? Is it a specific A-Level course, or is it more about fulfilling the expectations of your family? Without sounding overly sentimental, if it's the latter, the only thing you need to do is exist, and live. If your family's expectations are stifling you and making you feel unwell, then it doesn't sound like the best thing suited for you. Maybe speak to them about this academic pressure you're feeling - you may find that it alleviates a lot of the associated stress.

Best of luck. :-)
Its school. I've started getting bullied there pretty horribly until it died down a bit at the start of year 9. But I'd say its teh cause of every mental issue I have. Doesnt help that I'm there 5 out of 7 days a week so im constanstly sad an upset. I think its also because I'm afraid to speak up in class so I don exactly engage in the lessons. I end up getting bored and doodle in my book for the entire lessons or sleep.
I want As because I want to get into the best university for the job I want to do in the future but also to prove my teachers wrong because practically all of them think im stupid. Obviosuly they wont say it straight up to me but its obvious in their tone and wording.
Maybe its also because I dont find any of my gcses subjeucts interesting. And when I got to pick them my dad picked most of my subjects for me apart from drama which now I also dont like because of the people in my class.
activise_
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TTAva2000)
Hey,

Do not let your teachers put you down. You are right to use their comments as a source of motivation. I suggest you check the following Instagram page out because it has advice on how to deal with all the feelings you expressed in your post. https://www.instagram.com/productivise_/

Spanish: watch cartoons like Peppa pig in Spanish every day, you'll end up picking up the vocab really easily and it will build up over time.
I did French but I was able to find a lot of amazing resources on Tes to help with the grammar side of things.

English Lit: this is going to sound very corny but as long as you have a perceptive understanding of the text the main thing you need to do is believe in yourself. I was stuck on a 5 until around this time when I was year 11 and ended up getting a 9 and full marks in my paper 1.
Make sure you read each text twice; run an audio version at the same time if you keep on getting distracted. Mr Salles on YouTube is amazing if you haven't come across his channel already.
View each text as an expression of the writer’s opinion on the subject. Every character is a conscious construct that they have crafted to tell their story. Use the question as a stimulus to show off why you think the writer has chosen to produce their text.
If you are struggling to analyse quotations, think about other words the writer could've used in place of the one they did to try and understand the significance of their choice.

Maths: practise makes perfect.

Science: If you are struggling to understand a topic follow the digestion map route (you can find it in the IG page I linked above).
I know that you guys have been given advanced topics so practise spaced revision using active recall more frequently for these than the other topics. Diagrams and flowcharts can be especially helpful if you are completely confused.
Also check out the biology highlight on the IG page. You can apply the revision methods to any STEM-based subject.

You've got plenty of time. As long as you are consisten from now on, you'll smash your exmas. Fell free to leave me any more questions.
I'm a first year BSc Biomedical Sciences student that got 7 9's at GCSE and 3 A*'s at A-level. I'd be more than happy to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.85%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.66%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (31)
25.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.31%

Watched Threads