advice on increasing reading speed

Watch this thread
goose12
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
does anyone have any advice on learning how to read faster? mostly this isn't a problem for me, but i'm doing A level french which of course with the reading paper requires me to read big blocks of text in timed conditions. I'm worried my slow reading speed (a problem in english and french both) will affect my grades. Any advice?

for context, i do read a fair amount in my spare time, but most often this is in english, and i go at quite a slow pace
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi, it could be helpful to jot down some notes as you read it (in English), so that you don't have to translate each time you go back to the text. Hope you work it out
goose12
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Mythical Pingu)
Hi, it could be helpful to jot down some notes as you read it (in English), so that you don't have to translate each time you go back to the text. Hope you work it out
sorry i feel like i wasn't very specific (though also thank you for the reply!) but i mean that in general in both languages I read very slowly - generally reading french is okay as i understand the meaning without translating it, but in both languages for some reason it just takes a long time
Last edited by goose12; 3 months ago
nsnsjss
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
watch stuff with subtitles, like sherlock. it'll force you to read faster
yesIAmACamel
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you actually do want to read faster, I would just practice reading at a quicker pace. This will mean that it is a habit to read faster. Make sure it is a gradual and prolonged change so that you can keep your fast reading speed.

For context, I am doing all my A-levels in English so I know what I am talking about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads