language degree with no language a level?

Watch this thread
moappa
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi, i’ve recently realised that i would like to do a degree (rather, a joint honours with english) in a language. i love french but didn’t take it for a level and i very much regret it. is there any possible way to do an english and french degree without french a level? any replies would be appreciated!!
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Have you made a list of prospective courses at universities?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi did you do a language at GCSE?

I found that Manchester can offer you a place if you have an A in English literature a level and a grade B/6 GCSE for a modern foreign language. There are probably other unis who have similar offers so maybe have a look around!

All the best,

Jubilee - Uop Rep
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Remember that at most Unis you can do language courses outside your degree program - and that you may be able to do a Study Abroad year in France even doing an English degree.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I did a language module as part of my degree - it was aimed at people who had done an A-Level but I was able to prove I was at the required level as I had done evening classes (after doing a GCSE in that language; my school did not offer it for A-Level).
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It may be possible, although I would note French tends to be the language which most commonly is not available ab initio. Most other languages are available from scratch, although they may prefer a language A-level background this isn't always necessary.

Note that if you were interested in doing a joint English and classics course that will usually have language options in either or both classical languages while also usually not requiring any language background (although it's always useful to have).
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there!

There are some universities that offer French ab initio, Lancaster being one of them. I did Italian ab initio in my first year and my italian was pretty good by the end of that year, it was really enjoyable (couldn't carry it on though because I didn't have enough module choices sadly!)
Other universities I've heard of doing French ab initio are Kent, King's College, York, Sussex. There's probably more but it would be worth double checking. As long as you can prove interest and dedication to learn French, your application should be okay. Doing English and a language is quite a popular joint honours and the people who do it at Lancaster really enjoy it from what I've seen. It sounds like a great choice!

Best of luck!
-Daisy (Spanish and theatre final year student)
ad4155
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As people have said above, there are some universities that offer French at ab-initio level. Make sure you are aware of all other possible entry requirements, such as having a language GCSE. It's certainly a possibility, and I say go for it
University of Birmingham
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by moappa)
hi, i’ve recently realised that i would like to do a degree (rather, a joint honours with english) in a language. i love french but didn’t take it for a level and i very much regret it. is there any possible way to do an english and french degree without french a level? any replies would be appreciated!!
Hi moappa, we do offer French ab initio here at Birmingham. This can be studied with English, History, or a selection of other courses and languages.
This is a really popular option, we have more students taking beginners languages every year!

Happy to answer any questions! - Molly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.62%
The paper was reasonable (169)
49.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
24.2%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
9.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed