A level biology plan and design

Watch this thread
laxusvermillon2
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi i need help with a plan and design lab for biology it could be anything
Kim J
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
A plan for an experiment? What kind of experiment do you need a plan for?
Here are some things that might apply to all kinds of experiments
Here is an example experiment: Effect of light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis

- You need an IV and a DV. In this case IV= light intensity DV= rate of photosynthesis
- You need to operationalize them. In this case, Light intensity can be operationalized as distance of lamp from an aquatic plant.EG- Rate of photosynthesis can be operationalized as the number of bubbles of oxygen gas released by the aquatic plant.
- You need control variables. In this case, control temperature using a heat shield, control co2 concentration using sodium hydrogencarbonate.
- You need to outline details of the procedure- what equipment will you use? How will you carry out the experiment?
In this case equipment might be the Lamp, A ruler to measure distances, A heat shield (maybe a measuring cylinder filled with water), an aquatic plant, a timer (to calculate rate)
The procedure should outline what you will do to obtain the results you require and remember to include apparatus. In this case, we will place the lamp at different distances from the plant (specify eg- 10, 20, and 30cm) and measure the rate of photosynthesis for each distance. You should also talk about what the distances mean- greater distance= lower light intensity. (this is a brief outline, but I hope it helps)
- You need to collect data for the DV. In this case, you will be using a timer to measure the oxygen gas released over a specific time period. (eg-how many bubbles are released per minute)
- Additionally, to reduce anomalies you might want to repeat the experiment (maybe 3 repeats, and take an average of the results to calculate a mean)
- You also need to outline any safety procedures- This specific experiment is low risk, however in any other experiments things like gloves, safety goggles, etc might be useful.

I hope you find this list useful. This is from an A level biology student, so I don't know if it will help you out. I hope the experiment I selected is relevant for whatever experiment you plan to do.
Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads