Mortified I nearly stole a coffee today

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Absolutely horrified and embarrassed at what happened.

I went to my local coffee shop earlier today and I was chatting to the barista and scanned my app, talked some more, then went to leave, and she called be back as I went saying I just need to pay for that first.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life, we was talking so much about uni stuff it just slipped my mind when I went to scan my app, as I usually use that to pay with.

I have a really good relationship with the people who work in the shop but I am just so embarrassed, I may be overthinking it, but I just feel like they might have thought I was trying a fast one to get a free coffee?

They did make it a joke saying I should have been quicker when they wasn't looking and I apologised a lot for it, but I just worry they think I was pulling a fast one.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Meh, don't overthink it. Most people will have had that kind of thing happen, where they miss something because they are distracted. If they know you in the coffee shop, they won't have a problem. Just don't make a big thing of it next time you're in there; that makes it look worse.
yeet_21
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
yeah we've all been there
if you look embarrased then its obv a mistake but if you don't then you probably tried to nick it
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It happens. I almost forgot to pay for a bottle of wine a month or so ago. It was almost closing time and I got chatting with the person who verified my age at the self-service. He handed the bottle to me, I put it in my bag, and then as I was walking to the door I realised I didn't remember paying. The employee I had been chatting with saw me coming back and asked what was wrong - turns out he hadn't noticed either. I paid and we had a laugh about it. :lol:
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It happens, don't worry about it. If you were trying it on, it's not like you'd have picked a coffee shop where you are known to the staff.
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Don't worry about it - I filled car with petrol then realised I had no way to pay with me!
Shadowblizzard
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Absolutely horrified and embarrassed at what happened.

I went to my local coffee shop earlier today and I was chatting to the barista and scanned my app, talked some more, then went to leave, and she called be back as I went saying I just need to pay for that first.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life, we was talking so much about uni stuff it just slipped my mind when I went to scan my app, as I usually use that to pay with.

I have a really good relationship with the people who work in the shop but I am just so embarrassed, I may be overthinking it, but I just feel like they might have thought I was trying a fast one to get a free coffee?

They did make it a joke saying I should have been quicker when they wasn't looking and I apologised a lot for it, but I just worry they think I was pulling a fast one.
This is a complete non-issue, it happens all the time to countless people. If they thought you were stealing they wouldn’t let you back in, and you have a good relationship with them anyway. It really doesn’t matter.
yeet_21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BlueChicken)
Don't worry about it - I filled car with petrol then realised I had no way to pay with me!
how did you solve this predicament?
Shadowblizzard
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by yeet_21)
Probably drove to Barnard Castle to test their card to see if they could buy souvenirs.
Last edited by Shadowblizzard; 3 months ago
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by yeet_21)
(After checking every possible cubby hole in car and my bag multiple times) I just went with honesty and said they could mock me for it - they said it happens more often than you'd think! There was a form to fill in and I went back a couple of days later and paid - no drama.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (2)
8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20%

Watched Threads