The Student Room Group

Going on holiday with a unhappy person

Went on a trip a few years ago with a mate who was really wanting to get away for a week or so, so I said I’ll come, everything was ok booked a 5 star hotel which was nice.

Like a day or into the holiday his mood changed bearing in mind I’ve been to a few places with the person. we did go out to the shops /markets and stuff but there was a beech/swimming pool which he didn’t want to go.
And for 2 days was just in the room, after 2/3 days or seeing this I thought, I’ve not paid all this money to just sit in the room, he would just come to the breakfast. Like I wanted to go for a massage/sunbathing he was refusing saying he’s not come here for that, put a bit of a downer on me tbh.

So I thought forget this I’m going out and about my self luckily I was sitting in the lounge and got speaking to a solo traveler girl who was also staying there, so I was just basically with her for 2/3 days of the holiday actually stayed late :wink: in her room.

I’ve just decided that it’s better to travel solo or travel with someone who actually wants to explore.

Has anyone experienced stuff as such as this on holiday?
Reply 1
Original post by Imxza
Went on a trip a few years ago with a mate who was really wanting to get away for a week or so, so I said I’ll come, everything was ok booked a 5 star hotel which was nice.

Like a day or into the holiday his mood changed bearing in mind I’ve been to a few places with the person. we did go out to the shops /markets and stuff but there was a beech/swimming pool which he didn’t want to go.
And for 2 days was just in the room, after 2/3 days or seeing this I thought, I’ve not paid all this money to just sit in the room, he would just come to the breakfast. Like I wanted to go for a massage/sunbathing he was refusing saying he’s not come here for that, put a bit of a downer on me tbh.

So I thought forget this I’m going out and about my self luckily I was sitting in the lounge and got speaking to a solo traveler girl who was also staying there, so I was just basically with her for 2/3 days of the holiday actually stayed late :wink: in her room.

I’ve just decided that it’s better to travel solo or travel with someone who actually wants to explore.

Has anyone experienced stuff as such as this on holiday?

Yes my best friend asked me and my then boyfriend to go on holiday with them to Ibiza.But when we got there all they wanted to do was play scrabble in their room.Me and boyfriend got talking to another couple at the bar and the boys joined the water polo team who were a varied group of English and Welsh who got beaten everyday by a visiting German water polo team.The whole group English,Welsh and Germans hung out together for the rest of the holiday,went to discos,beauty pageants,water parks ,sunbathed ,hit the beach,got drunk and had the best holiday ever.Our new friends used to joke about our imaginary mates who we had to spend meals with and who refused to share bottles of wine at dinner.Bloke used to pour himself a glass and then send his bottle back with the waiter.
Still fantastic time was had ,but weird situation alright.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Yes my best friend asked me and my then boyfriend to go on holiday with them to Ibiza.But when we got there all they wanted to do was play scrabble in their room.Me and boyfriend got talking to another couple at the bar and the boys joined the water polo team who were a varied group of English and Welsh who got beaten everyday by a visiting German water polo team.The whole group English,Welsh and Germans hung out together for the rest of the holiday,went to discos,beauty pageants,water parks ,sunbathed ,hit the beach,got drunk and had the best holiday ever.Our new friends used to joke about our imaginary mates who we had to spend meals with and who refused to share bottles of wine at dinner.Bloke used to pour himself a glass and then send his bottle back with the waiter.
Still fantastic time was had ,but weird situation alright.

I guess you find out how people really are when they’re away from home totally opposite.
Like me and that girl I met we still talk she was from Australia only positive thing to come from that holiday and we’ve met up since then also.

I think people need to be open more, most people have a closed up mindset which is depressing. I’ve not got the time and energy for people like that. E.g. the person who I went with was once taking the piss out of my other friend who shaved his legs I was like let him do what he wants to. I don’t really speak to him that much now.
Reply 3
Original post by Imxza
I guess you find out how people really are when they’re away from home totally opposite.
Like me and that girl I met we still talk she was from Australia only positive thing to come from that holiday and we’ve met up since then also.

I think people need to be open more, most people have a closed up mindset which is depressing. I’ve not got the time and energy for people like that. E.g. the person who I went with was once taking the piss out of my other friend who shaved his legs I was like let him do what he wants to. I don’t really speak to him that much now.

No, we did not see a lot of them after that holiday either.Best friend had changed once she met her boyfriend.

Quick Reply