The Student Room Group

Moving out 2nd year of uni

I stayed at home for 1st year of uni but I'm regretting my decision now and thinking of moving out for 2nd year. Would I be able to live in halls for 2nd year or would I need to seek my own accomodation?
Reply 1
Original post by confusedpeaches
I stayed at home for 1st year of uni but I'm regretting my decision now and thinking of moving out for 2nd year. Would I be able to live in halls for 2nd year or would I need to seek my own accomodation?

Different universities are likely to have different policies. Contact your university's accommodation office and ask them what their policies are.
Priority always goes to first years, international students and disabled students. Some will also offer third years to come back for their final year.
In other words, you’re bottom of the pecking order, have a look at private halls
Original post by confusedpeaches

Hi @confusedpeaches,

It would definitely be worth contacting your university's accommodation department and asking what their policy is on second and third years going into halls. I know plenty of people that went back into student halls in their second and third years, so it is certainly not unusual.

However, if university owned accommodation is not an option for you, you can consider private halls. This is also quite a popular choice for second and third year students who prefer living in a halls environment rather than a house.

Best of luck!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep) :smile:
Hi @confusedpeaches
I have some recommendations from my best friend about this matter! He commuted from his home about 20 minutes away everyday in first year but then decided to move in to a student house with some of my other friends!
My advice would be to talk to your course-mates and see if they would be happy to move in with you. Another option would be to move into university halls which could be a great environment for you as everyone else would be in the same situation, just a year younger.
Take some time to think it over but if you need any more help, come back to this thread and chat! Have you looked at any housing options yet?
Have a great day,
Niamh (Fourth Year University of Southampton Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest