societies in qm/ bart’s

Watch this thread
aliyah.04x
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hi, so my medicine interview at bart’s is next week and i was wondering what societies there are at bart’s/ how i can contribute to the uni?

i’ve also been very confused on the student union website bc there’s societies for both bart’s and qm so are you only allowed to go to one?

if they were to ask me how i can contribute to the uni, is being proactive in societies the only answer or is there more i could do?

any help would be appreciated ))
LivQMUL
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by aliyah.04x)
hi, so my medicine interview at bart’s is next week and i was wondering what societies there are at bart’s/ how i can contribute to the uni?

i’ve also been very confused on the student union website bc there’s societies for both bart’s and qm so are you only allowed to go to one?

if they were to ask me how i can contribute to the uni, is being proactive in societies the only answer or is there more i could do?

any help would be appreciated ))
Hey Aliyah!

Firstly, good luck in your interview! I'm sure you will smash it

As a medicine student you'll be a student of Queen Mary University of London which encompasses both the subjects studied at the Mile End campus as well as the Whitechapel campus (where 'Barts' is based) so therefore you can join any society whether or not it is Barts-specific or QM-specific! The only/main difference between the societies at Barts vs QM is where the society events will take place (i.e on the Mile End campus or on the Whitechapel campus) but you can go to either! You might have to join both societies, however, so that you are kept up to date on events that are being run by both societies because they sometimes have separate group chats and committees. It is also common that Barts-based and QM-based societies do events together.

In terms of contributing to QMUL, being proactive in societies is definitely something you can do but you could also get involved in the university in many other ways. One example could be through taking part in the elections for the Student Union Reps, or even becoming a Rep for the university yourself! As well as that, you could also be a part of the Student Council and partake in debates or voice students' opinions through presenting a motion to the Student Council to be spoken about during debates and discussions, helping to improve everyone's student experience. You could also contribute to the university by being part of a sports society, for example, and representing the university at inter-university competitions. Lastly, you could also get involved with achieving QMUL's sustainability goals (https://www.qmsu.org/sustainability/) through joining an environment-related society or volunteering in projects.

There's an endless list of things you could do! I would advise you to just explore the QMUL website (https://www.qmul.ac.uk/) and the QMSU website (https://www.qmsu.org/) and look at all the opportunities there are for students because there is a lot more ways to contribute to the uni other than the things I said

I hope this helps!

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep
aliyah.04x
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by LivQMUL)
Hey Aliyah!

Firstly, good luck in your interview! I'm sure you will smash it

As a medicine student you'll be a student of Queen Mary University of London which encompasses both the subjects studied at the Mile End campus as well as the Whitechapel campus (where 'Barts' is based) so therefore you can join any society whether or not it is Barts-specific or QM-specific! The only/main difference between the societies at Barts vs QM is where the society events will take place (i.e on the Mile End campus or on the Whitechapel campus) but you can go to either! You might have to join both societies, however, so that you are kept up to date on events that are being run by both societies because they sometimes have separate group chats and committees. It is also common that Barts-based and QM-based societies do events together.

In terms of contributing to QMUL, being proactive in societies is definitely something you can do but you could also get involved in the university in many other ways. One example could be through taking part in the elections for the Student Union Reps, or even becoming a Rep for the university yourself! As well as that, you could also be a part of the Student Council and partake in debates or voice students' opinions through presenting a motion to the Student Council to be spoken about during debates and discussions, helping to improve everyone's student experience. You could also contribute to the university by being part of a sports society, for example, and representing the university at inter-university competitions. Lastly, you could also get involved with achieving QMUL's sustainability goals (https://www.qmsu.org/sustainability/) through joining an environment-related society or volunteering in projects.

There's an endless list of things you could do! I would advise you to just explore the QMUL website (https://www.qmul.ac.uk/) and the QMSU website (https://www.qmsu.org/) and look at all the opportunities there are for students because there is a lot more ways to contribute to the uni other than the things I said

I hope this helps!

thank youuu, are you a course rep/ uni rep?
LivQMUL
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by aliyah.04x)
thank youuu, are you a course rep/ uni rep?
No worries!

I am a student ambassador which is a job working for the uni (so I get paid for doing it!) and I do things like open days and campus tours. Basically just representing and helping the university and sharing my experience with prospective students as well.

The official rep bit in my sign-off just means that I am a Student Room Official Rep, so my account is verified, verifying that I am actually representing QMUL if that makes sense.

This link gives you more detailed info on what a student ambassador is:
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/careers/jobs-...mbassador.html

Hope this helps!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.63%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
26.04%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (52)
54.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.17%

Watched Threads