The Student Room Group

How much money does it cost to have a pet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I have a dog. She's a Lhasa Apso cross Papillon

Purchased in 2011 for £150
Food: around £3 a fortnight (she also eats a lot of leftovers that the kids leave)
Treats: around £1 a week
Grooming: £30 every 3 months

Here is a link to how much vaccinations etc. costs for a dog
https://www.comparethemarket.com/pet-insurance/content/dog-vaccinations/

Sadly my poor dog has cancer which has spread to her liver. So far, since Bonfire night, her operation (full mammary strip - she had an enormous infected tumour), medication, and ongoing treatment has cost in the region of £2,500 so far.

Sorry to hear this.
We have a cat. She costs £10 per month for vets for pets which is a plan for things like worming tablets, yearly injections, regular flea treatments.
Wet food we spend about £5.00 per week
Box of go cat munchies is about £1.50
Cat litter (shes more a home cat than a going out cat, she goes to the back garden and thats her safe space) So we spend £6.00 every couple of weeks for the clumping one.
Then you need a claw scratcher post, litter tray, toys, food bowl. Also having her spade as well if you dont want kittens.
Reply 22
I am very fond of cats and dogs but currently have two dogs. Right from the start, my boys have cost a fortune in vet bills. I have the gold insurance type. I just love my dogs.

Most recent bill was for a badly swollen infected anal gland. Poor sausage. They filmed the evacuation proceedings on the veterinary nurse's phone and showed me. It was like Dr P Popper.

Purchase price of my dogs was 90 pounds each donation to the excellent rescue centre.

My colleague spent a lot on his pet mouse when it was ill. It was part of the family. I think it cost over 500 and maybe over 1000 but not sure.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
We have a cat. She costs £10 per month for vets for pets which is a plan for things like worming tablets, yearly injections, regular flea treatments.
Wet food we spend about £5.00 per week
Box of go cat munchies is about £1.50
Cat litter (shes more a home cat than a going out cat, she goes to the back garden and thats her safe space) So we spend £6.00 every couple of weeks for the clumping one.
Then you need a claw scratcher post, litter tray, toys, food bowl. Also having her spade as well if you dont want kittens.

Even my outdoor cats will only poop in the litter tray, and one of my dogs, being a shy fellow, will pee on his walks, but the rest has to be done in the garden. At least no one can accuse me of not tidying up behind him!!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Wow that's a fair amount - is that mainly from food or other things? Are vet bills really expensive?

2 of my cats are on special diets. They lived for years feral outside and I bring them in and they need prescription cat food. :facepalm:

Litter is also really expensive. We go through a 40lb box every 2 weeks.
Original post by Cote1
I am very fond of cats and dogs but currently have two dogs. Right from the start, my boys have cost a fortune in vet bills. I have the gold insurance type. I just love my dogs.

Most recent bill was for a badly swollen infected anal gland. Poor sausage. They filmed the evacuation proceedings on the veterinary nurse's phone and showed me. It was like Dr P Popper.

Purchase price of my dogs was 90 pounds each donation to the excellent rescue centre.

My colleague spent a lot on his pet mouse when it was ill. It was part of the family. I think it cost over 500 and maybe over 1000 but not sure.

I can understand that! My daughter's 5€ gerbil had a tumor.We told the vet to operate. He was scared to death that he'd get the dose for the anaesthetic wrong, but he didn't and the little rat lived a further 2 years!☺️

Quick Reply

Latest