The Student Room Group

How do I structure an A level history source question

Hi,
Does anyone have a structure or tips that helped them write AQA source question answers? I feel like I was never really told how to and my marks are suffering because of it.
I do Cambridge AS/A2 Level so can't completely help but if you go onto the exam boards website and look at resources there should be candidate exemplars which are actual answers that scored top marks, you generally are able to get a rough idea from them on how to structure them
(Original post by Dee27520)Hi,
Does anyone have a structure or tips that helped them write AQA source question answers? I feel like I was never really told how to and my marks are suffering because of it.

Hey I do AQA! This is a link to an example of a 10 marker (got 8/10 so would be 24/30 if I did 3):
https://yummy-dinghy-fe3.notion.site/History-Source-Question-32d1da855bd0419d8fc35cadfd646f43
Literally treat them as 3 individual sources especially for component 2. no need for an introduction or conclusion - just do it like three 10 mark essays
Hey, I do AQA. My structure is kind of:

Introduction
Paragraph 1: Source 1
- Analyse the content, maybe pick a quote to focus on
- Back up the content with your own knowledge
- Find a piece of the content which isn't correct or doesn't match with one of your own examples
- Assess the limitation of it
- Then discuss provenance (does it limit the usefulness of the source)
- Mini judgement

Then repeat for each of the sources.
Technically as long as you have a judgement for each paragraph you won't really need a full conclusion, but if you have time then you can always put it in.
Original post by Dee27520
Hi,

Hi, so far on all my source questions i’ve been getting in band 5 and this is how i would recommend doing it…

Source 1:
1 paragraph about the content and argument of the source. start the paragraph with the argument and then pick out 2 or 3 pieces of information and back it up or argue against it using your own knowledge.

1 paragraph about the provenance and tone of the source. one again it could be useful to pick out a quote or two

1 shorter paragraph on the utility of the source

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending