The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool John Moores or Edge Hill uni?

So, I want to study biotechnology. Both of these unis offer this course but I’m struggling to pick.

The support at Lmju ‘seems’ better than edge hill, and travel wise, it’s slightly easier to get to, although I have no issue with travel to edge hill.

The only thing putting me off ljmu is the campus. Yes I know it’s in a good location in Liverpool, but the James parson building is just really depressing (sorry if you go here, this is just my opinion after visiting one time). I was just wondering if it is any better actually being there? Is it easy to get round the uni?

On the other hand, edge hill’s campus seems really pretty and green.
I don’t plan on staying at accommodation, so that’s why I haven’t mentioned anywhere else (like Chester, otherwise I’d go there).

Does anyone have any tips or any recommendations about their time at these unis?
Original post by Yhyh2323
So, I want to study biotechnology. Both of these unis offer this course but I’m struggling to pick.

The support at Lmju ‘seems’ better than edge hill, and travel wise, it’s slightly easier to get to, although I have no issue with travel to edge hill.

The only thing putting me off ljmu is the campus. Yes I know it’s in a good location in Liverpool, but the James parson building is just really depressing (sorry if you go here, this is just my opinion after visiting one time). I was just wondering if it is any better actually being there? Is it easy to get round the uni?

On the other hand, edge hill’s campus seems really pretty and green.
I don’t plan on staying at accommodation, so that’s why I haven’t mentioned anywhere else (like Chester, otherwise I’d go there).

Does anyone have any tips or any recommendations about their time at these unis?

Hi @Yhyh2323

The Department of Biology at Edge Hill is an accessible and friendly department with staff who are committed to teaching and leading research
All students from 1st year through to PhD students know each other because it is such a close-knit department, which allows students to help and support each other. Some of the research in the department includes, Cystic Fibrosis, Malaria, Genetic Resistance, Climate Change, Plant ecosystems and New antibiotics students can get involved with all of this

The programme has a strong practical base. Learning involves lectures, practical work, tutorials and fieldwork. The department has a wide range of practical facilities and we are keen to develop student skills in the areas of microscopy, microbiology and DNA technologies. The degree also involves a period of residential fieldwork in Cyprus.

Our Biosciences building incorporates impressive, modern laboratories, offering exciting and highly relevant practical experience in some of the best equipped facilities in the country. Resources include fluorescence and scanning electron microscopes, DNA extraction and analysis equipment, and climate controlled insectaries.

A number of the best nature reserves in the country are in close proximity to the campus. You will be taught within a short travelling distance of impressive field sites such as one of the finest saltmarsh and dune systems in Europe, restored mires of international importance, hay meadows and limestone woodlands. The University also has extensive grounds including meadows which serve as a useful area for demonstrating sampling techniques.

You may find it useful to chat to one of our current students in the Biology Department, which you can do here https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/chat-with-our-students/

I hope this helps,

Luke
Course Enquiries Team
Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending