Vet medicine without A Level biology

Watch this thread
cata03
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I really want to study vet medicine but I do physics, maths and chemistry A Level which I am predicted good grades in. I’ve applied to uni this year for natural sciences, but I still really want to do vet med. I’ve read various entry requirements and most require biology a level, but some only require a second maths/science a level in addition to chemistry.

I guess what I’d like to know is whether it is still worth applying without bio a level? If not, would there be a way I could catch up on Biology in a gap year or similar? If I still had a chance of getting in without Biology, how much of a disadvantage would it be without it? Thanks
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
There are a couple exceptions to the rule as you said, I believe Harper Keele and Cambridge do ask for chemistry and another science not strictly biology. Applying to those unis without biology does not put you at a disadvantage for their selection processes. However, vet med is extremely competitive to get into, with about 10 applicants to a spot and the vast majority of these applicants are all equally driven and meet the entry requirements, so it is a tough and many people get 1 offer or (like myself) have to go through more than 1 application cycle to get offers. You are very much limiting yourself if you are not able to apply to 4 vet schools in my opinion, so I would try to take biology - it is possible to do the A Level in a gap year as you said. There are also some gateway/prelim courses which may be worth looking into which are 6-year, for example the prelim at Nottingham only asks for one of chem/bio, but these also have less spaces. If you really want to do vet med then I would personally take a gap year and take biology in a year for the best chance - a lot of the content in vet school is also obviously very biology heavy with anatomy and physiology, so knowing some basics from A Level does help and it wouldn't go to waste.
Medic Mind
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hey there!
I definitely wouldn't say that it is ~impossible~ to succeed in vet school without having a biology A level but it will take a lot of dedication and personal study. The basis of veterinary medicine/just medicine in general is heavily based on knowledge of the body and biological systems so you might be a bit behind the students that have taken biology a levels. Furthermore, it might be a bit overwhelming to be learning basic biology on top of trying to learn everything that is being taught in your first year so a gap year might be more advisable.
Additionally, sometimes taking a gap year is helpful in regards to having more time for work experience and making sure that this is the profession that you're really wanting to do. Many students in vet med are also a bit older so you wouldn't be behind the curve in that regard if you do choose to take a bit of time to work on your biology basics.

That being said, if it is something you are really passionate about and you are ok with being a bit overwhelmed for the first year then I wouldn't say that entering this degree without a biology a level is out of the question. It just will take alot of work and might detract from your ability to focus on the vet specific material so that's just something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps!
Dottie
Medic Mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
28.41%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
35.23%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.09%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.68%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.27%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.27%

Watched Threads