The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford for economics and management?

Heyyy!🥰

So a bitta background bout me: I’m currently in Y12 and wanting to study economics at uni. I’m considering applying to Oxford university for economics and management, but I’ve read it has the lowest acceptance rate of all its courses (only 6%, with the second being computer science I think and medicine as the third with about 10%). I don’t go to a private school, or a grammar school or a high performing state school or even an average sixth form - I go to an underperforming school that underperforms in both GCSEs and A-levels. However, I managed to get all 9s (9 grade 9s) and am currently predicted to get A*’s in all three of my a-levels. However, even with this I don’t think I have a very good chance, do you think I should apply?

Edit**** I study Maths, Biology and English Literature at A-level (my school doesn’t offer economics or further maths at A-level which I’ve heard are quite popular amongst economics students at uni)
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey- First, well done on your achieved grades and also your predicted. I got 8 9's and 2 8's at GCSE (furious at the 2 8's!) and am also predicted 3 A*s and an A for my EPQ. I've applied for Economics/ Economics based degree at Exeter, Bristol, Manchester, KCL and Warwick and have received contextual offers from Exeter, Manchester and Bristol so far. I DIDN'T apply for Oxford partially due to the low acceptance rate (which is so so low!!) but mostly because I didn't like the feel of Oxford or the course massively. That's just my opinion though. If you like Oxford- apply, at worst your application is rejected (but you still have 4 other options and a very competitive application). At best, you get a place at a top Uni. I'd say do research into Unis though and don't just go to Oxford because it's Oxford as there are so many other good Unis out there. Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by RachelRambo
Hey- First, well done on your achieved grades and also your predicted. I got 8 9's and 2 8's at GCSE (furious at the 2 8's!) and am also predicted 3 A*s and an A for my EPQ. I've applied for Economics/ Economics based degree at Exeter, Bristol, Manchester, KCL and Warwick and have received contextual offers from Exeter, Manchester and Bristol so far. I DIDN'T apply for Oxford partially due to the low acceptance rate (which is so so low!!) but mostly because I didn't like the feel of Oxford or the course massively. That's just my opinion though. If you like Oxford- apply, at worst your application is rejected (but you still have 4 other options and a very competitive application). At best, you get a place at a top Uni. I'd say do research into Unis though and don't just go to Oxford because it's Oxford as there are so many other good Unis out there. Good luck!!

Thank you!
To be fair, some of that is skewed because a lot of the unsuccessful applicants for that course are international students (it's very popular among them) who tend to have lower success rates when applying to Oxford anyway (probably various reasons for this including being less familiar with the UK system and requirements). For UK domiciled students the success rate is around 10% (less competitive than PhysPhil, maths and CS, CS, and maths and stats).

Of course, it's still very competitive, and most applicants do have FM I would note (A-level Economics isn't required or expected). You should advise your referee to state on your reference that your school doesn't offer FM. Otherwise all things considered you probably has a good a chance as you can have (i.e. as good as any other competitive applicant).
Original post by aaq1
FM is not needed for E&M

It's strongly recommend though I think, just like how unis say that FM isn't explicitly required for engineering, Physics, Maths, Comp sci, Economics etc but you essentially have to have it/it's best for you to have it as most competitive applicants will have it unless I'm wrong @artful_lounger?
Original post by Talkative Toad
It's strongly recommend though I think, just like how unis say that FM isn't explicitly required for engineering, Physics, Maths, Comp sci, Economics etc but you essentially have to have it/it's best for you to have it as most competitive applicants will have it unless I'm wrong @artful_lounger?

I don't think it is strongly recommended, because it's not a pure Economics course. I don't think it's as quantitative as the Cambridge one, because half of the course is devoted to Management.
Original post by econhelp525
I don't think it is strongly recommended, because it's not a pure Economics course. I don't think it's as quantitative as the Cambridge one, because half of the course is devoted to Management.

Depends on the university then I guess.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Depends on the university then I guess.

Indeed, in fact I just had a look at what's actually taught at the Oxford course, and they don't seem to even teach Econometrics!

Edit: Nevermind, they do, but only as an optional module in the third year, which is highly unusual and a divergence from almost every other institution.
(edited 2 years ago)
Indeed, in fact I just had a look at what's actually taught at the Oxford course, and they don't seem to even teach Econometrics!

Edit: Nevermind, they do, but only as an optional module in the third year, which is highly unusual and a divergence from almost every other institution.

I pretty much know nothing about economics ,😂 other than me agreeing with what you and artful lounger are saying.
Original post by aaq1
FM is not needed for E&M

It's not required but a pretty large proportion of successful applicants have it. So therefore, to ensure no detriment, if their referee just explains it wasn't an option then it will make sure they aren't judged for not taking it, potentially.

I think it's more the case that it just is correlated with successful applications for whatever reason and the course being as competitive as it is generally, it may be one thing admissions tutors consider. Therefore as above, OP ought to just have their referee explain it wasn't an option and therefore it becomes most likely a moot point.

Personally I don't even see that the Cambridge course is as mathematical as say, the LSE course...and Oxford is less mathematical than both. I've no doubt even without FM the course should be accessible for an applicant, but here the focus is more on admissions rather than once they are on the course (unusually, as typically the reverse is the thing that needs to be considered).
Original post by aaq1
There are several examples of successful candidates without FM. Even the admission tutors said they don't expect or give any extra weightage to that.

Now there may be correlation that a number of successful candidates have indeed taken FM. But that could be partly because they are applying for pure Econ for the remaining options and that they are generally highly capable. But for Oxford E&M specifically it is not needed from admissions perspective. But certainly correlation needs to be separated from causation.

There are several examples of people who apply to Oxford E&M instead of Cambridge precisely for the reason that they don't have FM.

There are also successful applicants at LSE without FM - however given how many more are successful with it and how few without FM are successful in comparison, it's reasonable to assume LSE prefer it unless it's not offered by the applicant's school. There is nothing from the Oxford website that indicates either way so in an abundance of caution it costs the OP absolutely nothing to have their referee include it in their reference, in case they have a similar perspective as LSE, even if it may be just one college that feels that way (and as admissions decisions lie with individual colleges there may well be variation among the colleges in this).

Ultimately I don't really understand why you are arguing against my suggestion the OP ask their referee to include that it's not offered at their school. Either you're right, in which case it doesn't matter, or you're wrong, in which case it benefits the OP to have it in there. Therefore logically it would make sense for the OP to ask for it to be included in the reference. You seem to just be arguing for the sake of arguing...
No, you don't have a very good chance. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, it is because nobody has a very good chance. I think students sometimes decide that there must be a magic threshold. Above that you get in and below it you don't, and all you need to do to figure out which side of it you will be is to ask just the right questions. It's not like that. There will be lots and lots of applicants who all have very similar qualifications to you. Most of them won't get in and just a few will.

If you want to study it at Oxford, apply to Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending