The Student Room Group

essay writing

How difficult is it to fix academic writing from averaging 50s to 70s?...
Has anyone ever gone from 2.2s in yr 2 essays to 1sts in yr 3 essays and how..?
Original post by Nans23
How difficult is it to fix academic writing from averaging 50s to 70s?...

Hi :smile:

I think the best way to improve would be to have a checklist of what you need to do and keep referring to it as you're writing. You can formulate this checklist based off of past feedback you have received, general essay tips that you may not be incorporating already, as well as specific advice from your uni's academic support team (you could send them some of your work so that they can provide detailed feedback). Scan articles online, or articles offered by your university, about what a first class essay looks like, and then include those points in your checklist.

When you're done writing, go over your work again against the checklist, and make sure you've covered all your bases. After that, you can send it to your academic support team for a final check before you submit it. These are steps that I have taken and they certainly have been very helpful for me - so I hope they can be equally as helpful for you! All the best!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by Nans23

Are you actually asking about possibility, or probability?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Are you actually asking about possibility, or probability?

Both?
Original post by Nans23
Both?

OK.
Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
OK.
Possible? Yes. Probable? Not really.

Interesting… why not really, probability wise?
Original post by Nans23
Interesting… why not really, probability wise?

Because you're talking about going up two classes, from a II(2) to a I. Also, there is a big difference between a 51 and a 59: I don't know where you sit on that spectrum. I don't want to dissuade you from trying, but all I'm saying is that it's quite a big ask, particularly if you're half-way through your second year and still getting II(2)s in your assignments.

Still, you can always work to improve, so probably best to focus on that rather than 'marks', if you see what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest