The Student Room Group

Is it risky to apply to two masters at the same university, in the same department?

I'm interested in two postgrad courses; they are both design-related and are under the same department at the same Uni. I believe (but not 100% sure) that there are even some overlapping faculty members/tutors/mentors for both courses. But they are different enough that I will have to provide two completely different personal statements.

Will this look bad? Like I am not completely invested in either course?
Reply 1
Original post by Bbles
I'm interested in two postgrad courses; they are both design-related and are under the same department at the same Uni. I believe (but not 100% sure) that there are even some overlapping faculty members/tutors/mentors for both courses. But they are different enough that I will have to provide two completely different personal statements.

Will this look bad? Like I am not completely invested in either course?

it depends on which uni you applied. For me, I applied for two programmes from the same department at UCL and received two offers. The two courses are very similar and are very possibly assessed by the same faculty members.
I have also applied for two masters courses under the same department at ucl. I dont think it will look bad on your application. Though i am still waiting for my offers. Good luck!
I think that it can depend on the university, department, and even people who consider your application. For example, in the Cambridge thread, someone just got questioned about why their career goals were different in two masters applications. But other people apply to two courses and get two offers. So it's definitely a gamble.
Reply 4
which masters did u apply to at UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending