The Student Room Group

Could you please help me with the combination for my degree?

So I am applying currently (Germany and Switzerland). Just a little bit of background: I like evolution, organic chemistry, forensic science, conservation biology, ecology, paleontology, cancer biology, endocrinology and neurobiology. I want to get into research later, I just do not know which combination to choose.

I need a total of 180 credits
My choices are:
biology 180
biology 150 + biochemistry 30
biology 120 + biochemistry 60
biology 120 + biochemistry 30 + environmental science 30
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,

This sounds like credits for an MSc [??]

There is usually a choice of specific modules [each worth 30 or 60 credits] within each subject e.g.
[wild guess!]:-

For ur 2nd option in list i.e. biology 150 + biochemistry 30,

The available modules might be:-
BIOLOGY
Genetics of cancer: 30
Immunology: 60
Pathology: 30
Haematology: 30
Physiology: 60
Anatomy: 30

BIOCHEMISTRY:
Biochemical pharmacology: 30
Inherited disorders of metabolism: 30
Carbohydrate metabolism: 30

SO, FIND OUT WHAT PRECISE MODULES ARE AVAILABLE FOR EACH OF THE 4 OPTIONS THAT YOU LISTED, THEN DECIDE, depending on your interests, ease/difficulty, your strengths/weaknesses, your preference for theory/lab work, etc.

Good luck & be safe!
M
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi,

This sounds like credits for an MSc [??]

There is usually a choice of specific modules [each worth 30 or 60 credits] within each subject e.g.
[wild guess!]:-

For ur 2nd option in list i.e. biology 150 + biochemistry 30,

The available modules might be:-
BIOLOGY
Genetics of cancer: 30
Immunology: 60
Pathology: 30
Haematology: 30
Physiology: 60
Anatomy: 30

BIOCHEMISTRY:
Biochemical pharmacology: 30
Inherited disorders of metabolism: 30
Carbohydrate metabolism: 30

SO, FIND OUT WHAT PRECISE MODULES ARE AVAILABLE FOR EACH OF THE 4 OPTIONS THAT YOU LISTED, THEN DECIDE, depending on your interests, ease/difficulty, your strengths/weaknesses, your preference for theory/lab work, etc.

Good luck & be safe!
M

I imagine it's an undergraduate course but in ECTS rather than CATS hence 180 rather than 360 total credits.

Original post by kartosha_tatosha
So I am applying currently (Germany and Switzerland). Just a little bit of background: I like evolution, organic chemistry, forensic science, conservation biology, ecology, paleontology, cancer biology, endocrinology and neurobiology. I want to get into research later, I just do not know which combination to choose.

I need a total of 180 credits
My choices are:
biology 180
biology 150 + biochemistry 30
biology 120 + biochemistry 60
biology 120 + biochemistry 30 + environmental science 30

None of your areas of interest really scream biochemistry to me - it may be different in Germany but in the UK biochemistry tends to refer to molecular biology. Note this site is mainly used by those based in the UK so you might have to take some of the advice with this in mind as it may not be transferable to the German system!

As above though, look at what the actual breakdown of the ECTS credits for each of those options are in terms of specific classes, and see how those individual classes match up with your interests. Most of your interests seem to fall much more generally into "biology".

That said, if you're interest in bioscience research, especially in areas like cancer biology or neurobiology, some more "fundamental" background as granted in biochemistry might be useful. If you're mainly interested in organismal/ecological aspects though you probably don't really need much in that area that you wouldn't cover in any standard bioscience course.

In the UK environmental science often tends to focus more on e.g. policy and management matters and aspects of "applied" rather than "basic" (or maybe more accurately, "fundamental") science. So do check this option to see if it fits your interests. It might be useful background outside of research though.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending