The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology --> what does it mean

"All the species and environmental factors are in balance so that the population sizes remain constant"

anyone plz?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
"All the species and environmental factors are in balance so that the population sizes remain constant"

anyone plz?

What are you confused about?

anyone plz?

So, the population size of the plants [eaten by herbivores], and of these herbivores is steady cos their food supply has not changed, and hence the carnivores who eat these herbivores remain steady in number.

Other factors that could upset the equilibrium e.g. any flooding or heat wave, which might kill some animals, or conversely any drought or "ice age", respectively, that could do the same, are absent.

So "population sizes remain constant" i.e., the numbers of live members of various species does not change much, yeah?

I hope this sorts your issue!
M.
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
So, the population size of the plants [eaten by herbivores], and of these herbivores is steady cos their food supply has not changed, and hence the carnivores who eat these herbivores remain steady in number.

Other factors that could upset the equilibrium e.g. any flooding or heat wave, which might kill some animals, or conversely any drought or "ice age", respectively, that could do the same, are absent.

So "population sizes remain constant" i.e., the numbers of live members of various species does not change much, yeah?

I hope this sorts your issue!
M.

thanks! :smile:

in exams, can you also describe that as "biotic and abiotic factors are in balance so that the population size remains constant"?
thanks! :smile:

in exams, can you also describe that as "biotic and abiotic factors are in balance so that the population size remains constant"?

Yes oc you could cos it would show that you know your technical terms; for the same reason, it might help to mention "food chains"

Quick Reply

Latest