Astronomy GCSE

Watch this thread
kaera445
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My school have recently announced they're doing Astronomy GCSE as a course option. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the subject and could tell me if it's worth it. Thank you!
Monishagar M
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
I don't have experience but now it provides an excellent knowledge base in astronomy, GCSE Astronomy is ideal if you: Plan to study observational astronomy and theoretical astronomy (Astronomy related things) in the future. It is great if you are already into space and things. It is a good option to choose I don't think it will be hard. You'll learn about the major components of our galaxy, from the Earth, moon, and sun, to the surrounding planets, comets, and stars and importantly it will have physics in it. It will provide you with valuable skills such as observational skills. Good Luck if you choose to study this.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kaera445)
My school have recently announced they're doing Astronomy GCSE as a course option. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the subject and could tell me if it's worth it. Thank you!
Your GCSE subject choices aren't that important compared to the grades you get in them - the only subjects universities or employers will expect or require are core subjects you have to take anyway. So just pick whatever you think is interesting and/or that you think you will do well in.

It might as above provide some useful background for doing A-level Physics later and/or a physics degree after that, but neither of those will assume that knowledge so it will be a fairly minor advantage for only a short time. But if it's something you find interesting, what better option to pick
Monishagar M
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your GCSE subject choices aren't that important compared to the grades you get in them - the only subjects universities or employers will expect or require are core subjects you have to take anyway. So just pick whatever you think is interesting and/or that you think you will do well in.
Yes.
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I wish I had the chance to do astronomy! Absolutely love that part of physics. I might even take that gcse in my own time for fun.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
My daughter started studying it for a few months, but she dropped it. She's always loved space, but it was just too complicated for her.

If you like physics, that's great, because it's full of astrophysics. If you don't like physics, and you're not all that fond of maths, then don't even bother.

I won't lie to you, it's a very difficult subject, but it does depend on the individual person I suppose.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
The stuff about observation and charting sky positions can be a bit dry, but the cosmology topics are very interesting and might be helpful at A-level.
I did the last year of the old astronomy GCSE spec which I was able to get an A in just by cramming two weeks before the exam, although now I hear that's not so possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.27%
As I expected (23)
29.87%
Harder (29)
37.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed