The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel History - HENRY VIII AND HIS MINISTERS

Wrote this exam question for practice, what mark would you give it out of 12? If anyone has any tips on how I can improve it would be greatly appreciated!

Explain why Wolsey was so important to Henry VIII in 1515-1525 (12 marks)

Prompts:
The Amicable Grant
Field of the cloth of Gold

One reason why Wolsey was important to Henry was because of his success in improving the political status of England - which was not considered a great power at the time. Wolsey did this through his presentation of the “Treaty of London” in which he put forward the idea of international peace - where each state would promise not to attack each other. This treaty became popular, with over 20 European leaders as well as the Pope signing the agreement. The result of this was England becoming a respected power - placing both Henry and Wolsey at the centre of European politics. The success also made Henry appear very strong and prestigious - which could not have been achieved without the influence of Wolsey. For this reason - he was important to Henry in 1518.

A second reason why Wolsey was important to Henry was because of his impact on foreign policy - and his ability to improve England’s relations with its allies. This is seen through Wolsey’s success at arranging the Field of the Cloth of Gold (1520) - which was a large celebration that brought together England and France - and enabled them to present their wealth and power to one another. Although there were no political outcomes - the event was a major ego boost for Henry, and made him very pleased with Wolsey. As well as this, it put Henry at the centre of European diplomacy - which meant that he could manage international relations more closely. Overall, Wolsey’s success in this meeting boosted Henry’s status, which is why he was important to the King.

A third reason Wolsey was important to Henry was because Wolsey protected him from criticism. Evidence for this is found through the failure of the Amicable Grant (1525) - a tax that was put in place in order to pay for Henry’s large spending. Many people were angry, and did not accept the tax as it hadn’t gone through parliament and was deemed illegal. Henry took no responsibility for this, leaving Wolsey to accept the blame. The fact that accepting the blame would result in a negative outcome for Wolsey only made him seem more reliable to Henry - in the sense that he would make sure Henry took no criticism. This made Wolsey useful, as he would sacrifice his own reputation in order for Henry to be viewed positively.
Um shouldn't there be an introduction? You could describe W's character/personality and introduce his achievements.

Was he not a great lover and sportsman?

As a noble was he not a great friend of the king?

Was he not mentored and tutored by his predecessor before he retired?

etc.

An impactful attention grabbing introduction to whet the readers appetite!

P.S. didn't W have something to do with Henry's love life?
(edited 2 years ago)
improve on your conjunctions. use words like similarly, besides, also, in addition etc when starting your paragraphs. proofread your work to remove grammar issues. otherwise you are on the right track.
Reply 3
Original post by Grizwuld
Um shouldn't there be an introduction? You could describe W's character/personality and introduce his achievements.

Was he not a great lover and sportsman?

As a noble was he not a great friend of the king?

Was he not mentored and tutored by his predecessor before he retired?

etc.

An impactful attention grabbing introduction to whet the readers appetite!

P.S. didn't W have something to do with Henry's love life?

Hello! Thank you for your response, although my teacher did say that an introduction for this type of question is not important. Also, I don't believe talking about Wolsey's achievements would be relevant to the question, since it's asking for how he was important to the King. (I hope I don't sound rude, I just always lose marks for rambling on about things that don't directly answer the question, so I'm trying to keep it as tight as possible:smile:) Once again though thank you for replying!
Reply 4
Original post by lethal bc
improve on your conjunctions. use words like similarly, besides, also, in addition etc when starting your paragraphs. proofread your work to remove grammar issues. otherwise you are on the right track.

I see, thank you very much!!

Quick Reply

Latest