The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Why are taught postgraduates guaranteed accommodation?

I feel pity for quite a number of research postgraduates I know, whom contribute to the school's scientific research, world rankings...have to rent out themselves at their own risk & some of whom can't get hall offers without being hired as assistant wardens.

No offense. Does St. Andrews really value research or respect her own research students?

This is unfathomable in that the university at which I did my undergrad guarantees hall places for all research postgraduates & require all taught postgraduates to find their own shelters instead. It is now among the top 30 in the world. No offense.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel pity for quite a number of research postgraduates I know, whom contribute to the school's scientific research, world rankings...have to rent out themselves at their own risk & some of whom can't get hall offers without being hired as assistant wardens.

No offense. Does St. Andrews really value research or respect her own research students?

This is unfathomable in that the university at which I did my undergrad guarantees hall places for all research postgraduates & require all taught postgraduates to find their own shelters instead. It is now among the top 30 in the world. No offense.

If hall spaces are limited ( they almost always are) it makes complete sense to prioritise the most vulnerable students, e.g. freshers away from home for the first time. PGs are pretty much all big boys and girls with 3+ years of student experience so it's sensible to assume the can look after themselves a bit better.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
If hall spaces are limited ( they almost always are) it makes complete sense to prioritise the most vulnerable students, e.g. freshers away from home for the first time. PGs are pretty much all big boys and girls with 3+ years of student experience so it's sensible to assume the can look after themselves a bit better.

Taught postgraduates are not freshers, are they?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Not guaranteed, but most who apply are still offered a place as far as I'm aware. There are multiple halls just for postgrads.

Agree with your comment about wardens. There's a shortage, so the uni is pushing anyone eligible towards applying.
Reply 4
I just got accepted to St. Andrews as an intl postgraduate student from the US and I've never been!! When I was in undergrad, I always lived near the university or on campus, and my programme is in the arts building and next to the library. Any suggestions of where to live regarding halls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending