The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
You can't release yourself into clearing or accept your insurance if you haven't had a decision from your firm choice. It is wise for them to contact Durham if they have met the grades because there are cases where they haven't received the grades from UCAS and hence cannot make a decision until they receive that information.
I appreciate it's not your fault but Durham's position on delaying decisions up until the 24th is unacceptable when every other uni will have made all their near miss decisions by the 19th at the latest.

Hiya

Thank you for pointing that out- I was reading through some information on Google which said that a clearing release form can be filled but it turns out that info was old!

I also totally understand your point regarding delays in decisions. There do need to be some well-needed changes so hopefully they'll be made soon and the process will become much more quicker and satisfactory :smile:

-Himieka
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi thanks but I think you missed the point I was making. The point I was making is that UCAS says ‘if you have made the grades BUT the UCAS site has not been updated you should call the university to make sure they have your grades’. My question was what is the number you are supposed to call

Hiya

So there's no number you can dial but if you do end up in this situation, please fill up the Ask Us form and let me know the applicant's name here or via PM so I can forward it on and you'll receive a prompt reply from the admissions team :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Lemur14
You can't release yourself into clearing or accept your insurance if you haven't had a decision from your firm choice. It is wise for them to contact Durham if they have met the grades because there are cases where they haven't received the grades from UCAS and hence cannot make a decision until they receive that information.
I appreciate it's not your fault but Durham's position on delaying decisions up until the 24th is unacceptable when every other uni will have made all their near miss decisions by the 19th at the latest.

Hiya

I've also just been told that releasing yourself into clearing is possible before receiving a final decision from Durham. The applicant just needs to fill up the Ask Us form for it and let me know their name here or via PM and when I forward it, the admissions team will quickly pick it up! :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

I've also just been told that releasing yourself into clearing is possible before receiving a final decision from Durham. The applicant just needs to fill up the Ask Us form for it and let me know their name here or via PM and when I forward it, the admissions team will quickly pick it up! :smile:

-Himieka

That's not releasing yourself into clearing (that's something more specific) but yes that would be the way to get into clearing without having to wait up to 6 days (if the admissions team are faster at that than decisions!)
Do you have a specific contact in admissions you speak to? I'd love to drop them an email!
Original post by Lemur14
That's not releasing yourself into clearing (that's something more specific) but yes that would be the way to get into clearing without having to wait up to 6 days (if the admissions team are faster at that than decisions!)
Do you have a specific contact in admissions you speak to? I'd love to drop them an email!

Unfortunately I'm not connected to the admissions team directly- the queries are passed on through my supervisor in the marketing team to them and then they respond.

-Himieka
Unfortunately I'm not connected to the admissions team directly- the queries are passed on through my supervisor in the marketing team to them and then they respond.

-Himieka

Ah shame! Think the staff I work with in performing arts would be a little less willing to pass such stuff on haha
My daughter has an offer to study Classics at Durham. My wife was speaking to someone who is a senior lecturer at Durham and he has told her that if our daughter were to just miss out on getting her grades, that she should call the University and speak to someone to plead her case. Now, I really don't know if this is something she is able to do but does anyone have any idea firstly if this can be done and secondly who exactly should she speak to ? The Classics Dept or Admissions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rael427
My daughter has an offer to study Classics at Durham. My wife was speaking to someone who is a senior lecturer at Durham and he has told her that if our daughter were to just miss out on getting her grades, that she should call the University and speak to someone to plead her case. Now, I really don't know if this is something she is able to do but does anyone have any idea firstly if this can be done and secondly who exactly should she speak to ? The Classics Dept or Admissions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Unfortunately the lecturer is talking pretty much nonsense - this won't make any difference (if she even could get through to a relevant person which is unlikely in itself). Lecturers aren't involved in the admissions process so it would be admissions theoretically but they won't be taking phone calls on results day except in the unlikely event Durham goes into clearing.
Original post by Lemur14
Unfortunately the lecturer is talking pretty much nonsense - this won't make any difference (if she even could get through to a relevant person which is unlikely in itself). Lecturers aren't involved in the admissions process so it would be admissions theoretically but they won't be taking phone calls on results day except in the unlikely event Durham goes into clearing.

So Lemur you are saying that if student misses a grade at Durham and is not immediately offered a place neither parents or schools can contact them and may be left hanging until the 24th.Parents should appeal grades if appropriate straight away though?
Original post by Scotney
So Lemur you are saying that if student misses a grade at Durham and is not immediately offered a place neither parents or schools can contact them and may be left hanging until the 24th.Parents should appeal grades if appropriate straight away though?

Parents can't be doing anything on the uni side, unis won't speak to parents about applicants due to data protection.
Yes if an appeal is going in that should be done asap - and actually that's a case when the uni should be spoken to, the student should let them know that they are appealing their grade. (Make sure it is a priority review of marking if they have missed their offer).
If they have missed their grades then no, schools contacting won't help (and as I said, parents won't be spoken to regardless).

(and no, I don't think leaving people hanging til the 24th is acceptable either)
Hi Lemur,

Thanks for mentioning 24th was a possibility (we now have a plan A(2)) which at least we now know its a possibility and also thanks for saying how utterly appalling that would be. DDs second choice would have no accommodation left and the stress may kill me ....fingers crossed we have positive news.

I am also stunned there is no helpline just a god awful chat bot system. There are ways which parents can speak on the young persons behalf and it happened to a friends child who ended up in surgery on the day of results but the student has to provide permission.

In the old days you could plead your case and I did this for my first degree ( I promised to come top of the course oi the guy let me in - I came second - not bad with the lowest entry grades) :smile:

Fingers crossed for everyone's children on Thursday
Original post by Rael427

No point ringing academic departments as they have nothing to do with admissions.
Durham has a centralised Admissions Team tel: 0191 334 6128. Good luck!
Hiya

If you don't meet your grades and your UCAS hasn't been updated, it will mean that the application is still under consideration. A decision will be made ASAP and no later than 24th August so there's no need to contact the uni. I know this might put you in a difficult position so you can release yourself into clearing or accept your insurance offer if you don't want to wait for a week for a decision on your application :smile:

-Himieka

since reading this I've given it so much thought and consideration - I have to say it's nothing short of appalling. I hope no-one finds themselves in this situation, the uncertainty and stress would be incredible and potentially for nothing - but possibly losing out on everything that may have been by sitting it out.
Good luck to you all, let's hope Thursday brings good news for everyone.
I hope everyone got what they needed yesterday. My son got enough for his first choice Durham and is delighted.
My son got the necessary grades too, thank goodness, and is very happy to have confirmed Durham. Now I just need to face the reality of my youngest going off to (a far away) university!! Empty nest syndrome here I come 😭!
All good here - my daughter got the grades needed for maths and she’s hoping that her initial allocation of South is confirmed. All very exciting!
My Son acheived 4 A*, we are over the moon!!. He will also be doing Maths, but is allocated to Trevs. Trevs wasn't initially his 1st choice, but it looks great and he is really happy with the allocation, and we really hope it is confirmed! Now both my sons will be at Uni so empty nest syndrome here we come!
How did it go?

Original post by Fruity Girl
Back on Student room after a long break - DD got COVID and was floored during exams so massive impact on exam performance and as Durham is 1st choice ....... mmm everything crossed ...touch wood...not resorted to crystals yet lol

Starting to think about student bank accounts and also thinking weekly or monthly allowance will need to increase from the plan to cover increased food costs ...Sheffield is second choice but who knows .....
Quick question about matriculation. Do you have to hire a gown? And how much? I have a friend who could let me borrow his Cambridge gown. Do you think anyone would notice? Thanks.
Original post by Mustardtree6
Quick question about matriculation. Do you have to hire a gown? And how much? I have a friend who could let me borrow his Cambridge gown. Do you think anyone would notice? Thanks.

Hiya

Sasjack is right. If you have a non-gowned college and won't need to wear it to balls, then you can probably borrow it from your Cambridge friend for Matriculation. If you're in a gowned college, you'd need to wear it to all the formals you attend so it's better to buy a second hand one. I bought mine from a graduating student for £15 (instead of spending £65 on a new one and it was in perfect condition as well). There's a Facebook page you can put a post in and if somebody has a gown to spare/sell, they'll contact you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/272895459496646/?ref=share :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest