The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I wonder if there may be a distinction between ‘hearing’ about allocations and allocations actually taking place in the background.

I don’t think many will accept offers until they know what college they are in so will be surprised if they wait till May
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I don’t think many will accept offers until they know what college they are in so will be surprised if they wait till May

Or looking at it another way: as Durham know that lots of this offers won’t be firmed, as students applying to 5 unis (in most cases) maybe they hold off so they can prioritise those that have firmed them?
Original post by LRC1000
I asked Durham admissions about when we would hear about college allocations and was told it would be in May! So that’s a long way off and gives everyone time to receive their offers. Hopefully that will make the allocation process fair 🤞.

It’s fair already as each subject has a set number of places to offer in each college, so if, say, Geography offers early, it won’t make any difference on the English college allocation if they offer late.
Hi, that’s interesting as the email for ranking said you could make changes up till early February when allocations were made, last year allocations were made February 12th

I know, it's confusing! That's why I checked but the lady who emailed me definitely said that college offers would commence in May. On their website, though, it says college allocation will happen by May. I guess we just have to hope that all the colleges will be great, and I have to learn to be more patient!
It’s fair already as each subject has a set number of places to offer in each college, so if, say, Geography offers early, it won’t make any difference on the English college allocation if they offer late.

Not really though as people offered last within their subject are less likely to be allocated one of their preferences. This could easily be sorted with a simple program in which all allocations are made at the same time, ensuring all students get a college ranked near the top of their list.
My son got an offer in History, which is quite exciting. We are looking at colleges and we have identified that Hatfield, St Chad, University, St Cuth and St John were the ones worth considering in terms of proximity to the History Department.

Any insight on how to choose the right college? Any feedback/opinion?
Original post by DurhamMum92
My son got an offer in History, which is quite exciting. We are looking at colleges and we have identified that Hatfield, St Chad, University, St Cuth and St John were the ones worth considering in terms of proximity to the History Department.

1) does he want self catering or catered
2) is he into sports or rowing
3) does he want gowned or non gowned formals
4) do all the history lectures take place in the department
5) is he happy to share a room or not

These are the questions I would ask.
Original post by Fruity Girl

There are pages about all the colleges and also lots of kids do you tube clips about the colleges - worth a watch

Thank you...very useful.
Thank you...very useful.

There is a spreadsheet somewhere on TSR that shows that chance of getting into various colleges - some over oversubscribed so difficult to get a place and there maybe a strategic method for ranking them to ensure you get nearer to your top choice - Not sure I could work this ok though
There is a spreadsheet somewhere on TSR that shows that chance of getting into various colleges - some over oversubscribed so difficult to get a place and there maybe a strategic method for ranking them to ensure you get nearer to your top choice - Not sure I could work this ok though

Here's a summary PDF they have on their site from 2020 for college allocation.....
https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/colleges.se.office/UGPreferencesforColleges-2020Entry.pdf

Good luck all...
Original post by perez100
I know, it's confusing! That's why I checked but the lady who emailed me definitely said that college offers would commence in May. On their website, though, it says college allocation will happen by May. I guess we just have to hope that all the colleges will be great, and I have to learn to be more patient!

It's definitely May, so they don't get into the situation that happened last year. Everyone will have their offers by then, so all allocations will be as fair as possible.
Most applicants pick their firm and insurance choices before knowing their accommodation allocation.

If a university is only your top choice if you can get a luxury room then it’s not your top choice.
Most applicants pick their firm and insurance choices before knowing their accommodation allocation.

If a university is only your top choice if you can get a luxury room then it’s not your top

Never seen a luxury room at any uni 😂🤣 even Oxford has fairly basic accommodation for most students unless you get lucky on a ballot - please remember some people may not be able to afford catered accommodation which works out a lot more expensive than self catering. It’s not just about being fussy about an en suite or a bigger bed.
Original post by musicdad
Here's a summary PDF they have on their site from 2020 for college allocation.....
https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/colleges.se.office/UGPreferencesforColleges-2020Entry.pdf

Good luck all...

That’s the one! Thanks Music dad
Attachment not found

Well their email they send with the email confirming your choices says this so looks like mixed messages

It is on the website https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/your-college---undergraduate/college-allocation-statistics---undergraduate/

Thanks - I think Music dad also posted the same table in a different format

Hi congratulations on the history offer when did he get the offer and is it a standard home offer ? My son is also waiting to hear about history .
Attachment not found

Well their email they send with the email confirming your choices says this so looks like mixed messages

your link doesn't work - please could you share the content?

Quick Reply

Latest