The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Would your YP have got those grades if you'd sent them to the local state school instead?

With the amount of work done, yes, probably. But who knows - private education gave more support during the pandemic, so that is an advantage that wouldn’t normally be seen.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Loads of rejections for Law, with similar grades, unfortunately, so they're not alone. You'll never know if the private education was a factor as, if Durham had a choice between two candidates with the same grades and everything else similar except that one was from a state school and the other from a private school, you understand why they might choose the state school applicant... but, as I said, you'll never know if that was the case.
I wonder if all this will make parents realise that a private education is not necessary - that their children can get top grades by, as you said, 'working their butts off' at a state school, thereby saving themselves a lot of money
But it's about your YP now - they've had the education they've had (and perhaps there were other things that made it worth the money...?) - what are their options now?

Three offers, 2 very strong and achievable, so all will work out well - just tough this year for all of the YPs
Original post by Micky J
Three offers, 2 very strong and achievable, so all will work out well - just tough this year for all of the YPs

That's great!
Really tough year. Rejections for people who'd have got in any other year.
Exactly this! 👌

I think that the very high achieving kids (ie top of class and year) get the same marks no matter where they go in a normal year, but privately educated kids often had more continuity in their learning through lockdowns etc which benefitted them. I’m a big believer in breaking social barriers but also believe that personal choice about place of education should not penalise YP. Private education is a nice to have choice and not just about marks and privilege.
State school pupils need the same grades so I am not sure why private school pupils would be entitled to first choice of university? Unless I have misunderstood. I know my son worked extremely hard to achieve his grades and should have an equal chance, non contextual

In a normal year all of these high performing kids would have their choice of universities (regardless of schooling), just too many students this year. Good luck to all!
That's great!
Really tough year. Rejections for people who'd have got in any other year.

We just all need to keep our kids on track through the next two months so that they make it to the A level finish line - they’ve all had it tough and now have the kids who (rightly) deferred last year to compete with too. In the end they are lucky to have a great country with great universities and that’s all that matters…
Just glad my son took a gap year, helped his personal statement and has 3 good offers. Definitely good luck to all still waiting, not long now

Good choice - they had it even harder last year
Original post by Micky J
It’s probably evens out - YP had better access to online learning during the pandemic, so overall lower marks from a state school are probably the same as all A*s. But the amount of work done to stay at this level has been incredible, so feels wrong not to have your choice of university.

Why do you think state school kids are getting places with lower marks, are you getting confused with contextual offers? This attitude that private school applicants are somehow disadvantage is incredible.
So sorry to hear this and what amazing grades he has. The reason given by Durham just doesn't make sense and I understand the other offers look scary but it seems he is on course to achieve them, fingers crossed.

Our YP is definitely going for the gap year. Still not heard back from Durham but they seem ambivalent to this now as they feel sure it will be a rejection. They are young for the year and not really ready yet so it may do them a favour - 'everything happens for a reason'.

The only problem is, A*A*A and all 8/9 may continue to not be enough for entry next year so we are bracing ourselves to be in the same position 12 months from now (but without the exam stress).

It's so difficult to know what to do but I wish him (and you) well with whatever lies ahead.

Rejected
A*A*A
State School
Lowish lnat 23
Offered Bristol which she will firm. There have been 3 and 4 A* rejections from Bristol too, so she's really blessed to be offered a place. Could be her personal statement that's shone?
Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Tough year.
Rejected
A*A*A
State School
Lowish lnat 23
Offered Bristol which she will firm. There have been 3 and 4 A* rejections from Bristol too, so she's really blessed to be offered a place. Could be her personal statement that's shone?
Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Tough year.

Wow - it just doesn't make sense. Well done to your daughter for the place at Bristol.
Good luck to everyone still waiting or with news on whatever pathway they choose or find themselves on.
Any news today at all?
Original post by Micky J
My YP knocked back for Law. I guess 8s and 9s, 3 x A* and EPQ A* and working your absolute butt off all of the time isn’t enough if your parents have scrimped, sacrificed and saved and sent you to private school… so disappointed

Are you implying that because you scrimped & saved and paid for private school that should entitle a place, or that they were penalised for going to a private school? I’m getting so tired of hearing people missing about their child missing out because of their private education!! You were lucky enough to be in a position where you had choices of schools, and I presume they had a good education with other beneficial opportunities. It doesn’t mean they deserve to get uni places over others or that they are being penalised any more than other students.

We scrimp, sacrifice & save but still couldn’t afford private school for our kids. My YP also works her butt off and doesn’t qualify for contextual. She has no advantage in this situation. She’s still waiting for decisions after 7 months and will probably learn the lesson that life isn’t fair.
I think when the kids all have similar grades we can assume they’re all working their butts off to get to that level whichever school they go to (although as you point out some had better online learning provision during lockdown so some had to more than others).
I’m sorry for the disappointment. It’s a very tough year & can be demoralising. Hope all our YP go on to excel and enjoy wherever they end up at!
Are you implying that because you scrimped & saved and paid for private school that should entitle a place, or that they were penalised for going to a private school? I’m getting so tired of hearing people missing about their child missing out because of their private education!! You were lucky enough to be in a position where you had choices of schools, and I presume they had a good education with other beneficial opportunities. It doesn’t mean they deserve to get uni places over others or that they are being penalised any more than other students.

We scrimp, sacrifice & save but still couldn’t afford private school for our kids. My YP also works her butt off and doesn’t qualify for contextual. She has no advantage in this situation. She’s still waiting for decisions after 7 months and will probably learn the lesson that life isn’t fair.
I think when the kids all have similar grades we can assume they’re all working their butts off to get to that level whichever school they go to (although as you point out some had better online learning provision during lockdown so some had to more than others).
I’m sorry for the disappointment. It’s a very tough year & can be demoralising. Hope all our YP go on to excel and enjoy wherever they end up at!

My YP is also at a state school and does not qualify for contextual, however has received no advantage particularly where funding is concerned as for their Law entry requirements had to pay £70 to sit the LNAT entrance exam. I agree that all students have the equal right to a place, regardless of state or private education this doesn't undermine their achievements at all.
I think this is a case of private school parents thinking given the choice if a state or private school kid who are equal in merit, the place will go to the state kid because it is good for the uni stats. I have kids in both state and private (means) bursary so v neutral but I have to say given an equally qualified kid I’d give it to state every time. So shoot me.
I think this is a case of private school parents thinking given the choice if a state or private school kid who are equal in merit, the place will go to the state kid because it is good for the uni stats. I have kids in both state and private (means) bursary so v neutral but I have to say given an equally qualified kid I’d give it to state every time. So shoot me.

What would you do if it was a grammar school kid? They are still state schools, often underfunded and in large classes. Would they be penalised because they would just be expected to do well anyway?
Just wondering…..
Folks: can we PLEASE put this state vs grammar vs private school argument to bed. Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion but this is not the forum.as (a) we are here to support each other (and ultimately our children) and (b) there are prospective Durham students on here who could probably do without these sorts of opinions/comments. I'm only sayin'...
(edited 1 year ago)

Comments really touched a nerve. Good luck all - we still have to get them through their exams with a decent cadence.
Sons just arrived back from Leeds offer holder day. (History) absolutely loved it and preferred over Warwick so wants to firm Leeds and nottingham as insurance , feels Durham not for him after all this time waiting he still Hasnt heard, so I’m very relieved he’s made his descion.
Original post by Laburnum1
Sons just arrived back from Leeds offer holder day. (History) absolutely loved it and preferred over Warwick so wants to firm Leeds and nottingham as insurance , feels Durham not for him after all this time waiting he still Hasnt heard, so I’m very relieved he’s made his descion.

As someone who went to Leeds and still lives here 30 years later, he’s made a good choice 😊
Anyone else waiting to hear from history? Applied in October and still not heard?
Any responses today? At all?

Quick Reply

Latest