The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Parents of Durham University 2022 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

The one sentence that bothers me is:

"This is a provisional allocation in the first instance. If your place at Durham is confirmed following your results, then your final college allocation will also be confirmed shortly after. We'll try to ensure that your confirmed college remains the same as the provisional college membership allocated earlier."

They are making an incorrect assumption that current provisional college allocations represent a college somewhere on each student's preference list, but in my son's case (and surely many others) this is not the case.

I have no doubt that once they defo know who will actually be attending Durham in September, they will have to do some minor re-allocations in order to balance out the numbers (in terms of max students studying a particular course per college), but I really can't see them doing this taking into account original preferences.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by EnterTheDragon

"This is a provisional allocation in the first instance. If your place at Durham is confirmed following your results, then your final college allocation will also be confirmed shortly after. We'll try to ensure that your confirmed college remains the same as the provisional college membership allocated earlier."

They are making an incorrect assumption that current provisional college allocations represent a college somewhere on each student's preference list, but in my son's case (and surely many others) this is not the case.

I have no doubt that once they defo know who will actually be attending Durham in September, they will have to do some minor re-allocations in order to balance out the numbers (in terms of max students studying a particular course per college), but I really can't see them doing this taking into account original preferences.

No - nor do I. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of wo/man to figure out a way of re-allocating students who have been given a college they're not happy with when spaces become available... Something you fill in after your place becomes unconditional where you can say either 'I'm happy with the college I've been allocated' or 'I'd like to be reallocated, if possible' and a list of colleges re-ranked (as some people will no doubt change their mind either way)...?
Original post by Anonymous
No - nor do I. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of wo/man to figure out a way of re-allocating students who have been given a college they're not happy with when spaces become available... Something you fill in after your place becomes unconditional where you can say either 'I'm happy with the college I've been allocated' or 'I'd like to be reallocated, if possible ' and a list of colleges re-ranked (as some people will no doubt change their mind either way)...?

They can’t even get offers out in a timely manner I doubt very much they will re look at college preferences !
Original post by Laburnum1
They can’t even get offers out in a timely manner I doubt very much they will re look at college preferences !

Yes - it's been a terrible year timings-wise, even by Durham's standards!!
No - nor do I. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of wo/man to figure out a way of re-allocating students who have been given a college they're not happy with when spaces become available... Something you fill in after your place becomes unconditional where you can say either 'I'm happy with the college I've been allocated' or 'I'd like to be reallocated, if possible' and a list of colleges re-ranked (as some people will no doubt change their mind either way)...?

I agree! Although I really like the college system as a whole, the fact that they put so much emphasis on it when applying and how each college is different in what they offer/ their experience is really flawed when compared to the allocations process- particularly the fact that you cannot move once provisionally allocated.
Yes - it's been a terrible year timings-wise, even by Durham's standards!!

To be honest, I'd like them to be channelling all admin support into getting decisions back to students and to leave accommodation allocations until after everyone has their response. It's so stressful to still be waiting.
Original post by Kirsty Cooke
To be honest, I'd like them to be channelling all admin support into getting decisions back to students and to leave accommodation allocations until after everyone has their response. It's so stressful to still be waiting.

Yup - I definitely agree that college allocations should happen after all the offers. If it's not set in stone anyway, it shouldn't make much difference if it's a little later for some of the applicants who got early offers.
I agree! Although I really like the college system as a whole, the fact that they put so much emphasis on it when applying and how each college is different in what they offer/ their experience is really flawed when compared to the allocations process- particularly the fact that you cannot move once provisionally allocated.

It is a fatal flaw. It was a complete mess last year, so perhaps they'll overhaul the whole system from next year (after they've negotiated their way through the minefield that is this year!!)...

It seems so unfair, doesn’t it?
My niece is at Durham and most of her friends in college (South) got their first or second choice. So I naively thought that this would be case for everyone but it’s very clearly not from the posts on here.

My daughter has been fortunate to get her first choice (also South) but I know that if she had been allocated one that wasn’t on her - very limited - ranking list she would be hoping that she could be moved if a space was available. I’m sure it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare but also v unfair for those students who didn’t get anything in their top 8
I'm also wondering if this can happen on results day, if you can be moved up / change to college of a higher preference, I doubt it though as the website stated medical only unless the University need to move people I think (e.g. too many people in one college achieve their offer grades)

oh never thought of that!

I'm not sure they are - aren't they saying that whatever they allocate will likely be honoured unless they change it for whatever reason - no guarantees
Have any of you been to visit Stephenson college? My daughter was allocated here despite not ranking it, but did want self catered - just wondering if it's friendly and if they still have formals and things?
I've found some VERY interesting college allocation stats on Durham's website for the 2020/2021 academic year...

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/allocationprocess/statistics/

The link to the actual stats is at the bottom of the page.
I've found some VERY interesting college allocation stats on Durham's website for the 2020/2021 academic year...

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/allocationprocess/statistics/

The link to the actual stats is at the bottom of the page.

Hmmm... The date by the table itself is 2020 - it would be even more interesting to see 2021!
I think a lot of it depends on the subject you are studying as they make sure each college has a mix of subjects, my son ranked Marys 1st, Greys 2nd and Trevs 3rd and got allocated Trevs, even though on those stats 90% of those that applied to Greys got the college,, he missed out. My son will be studying Maths and the maths building is literally next to Greys, so they maybe get too many Maths applicants applying?? Also in 2020, I don't think they ranked colleges, you just put your 1st choice and that was it...
I see you say your son was allocated Greys, we were really impressed with the college, I am sure if he does end up there he will love it
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ajl1972
I think a lot of it depends on the subject you are studying as they make sure each college has a mix of subjects, my son ranked Marys 1st, Greys 2nd and Trevs 3rd and got allocated Trevs, even though on those stats 90% of those that applied to Greys got the college,, he missed out. My son will be studying Maths and the maths building is literally next to Greys, so they maybe get too many Maths applicants applying?? Also in 2020, I don't think they ranked colleges, you just put your 1st choice and that was it...
I see you say your son was allocated Greys, we were really impressed with the college, I am sure if he does end up there he will love it

My daughter was in a really similar situation, she ranked John Snow first (which from 2020 stats 94% of applicants who ranked this as their first choice were allocated there), yet she ended up with her third choice (she's studying Law, which I understand has been really popular this year). I guess it depends on luck and how low down the pile they are when it comes to allocations..
I think in the vast majority of cases this provisional allocation will remain unchanged. Reading other comments whichever college they go to, they love it even if it wasn’t their original choice. I think as parents we may be more concerned than our offspring!
https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges.se.office/allocations/

Yes... although when my elder daughter applied to Oxford, we had a conversation about being pooled, and I think she would have thought twice about accepting one of the very modern colleges. In that case she might have accepted Durham if she'd got one of her top 4 preferences (but she was allocated her 5th :tongue:).
Original post by ajl1972

That makes sense of the table if they only chose their top college in 2020!
I agree with earlier comments with regards to DU concentrating on getting replies out, especially this close to A-levels (some of which have already begun).

Ranking colleges must be a bit daunting, especially with the DU offer holders days being held so early in decision process.

My son ranked his top 7 based upon what he liked about them (rather than what he disliked about others).

Of the 449 entries on the Responses spreadsheet, only 5 originally picked Van Mildert (worryingly low) and that is likely where my son will end up given his prefered course (and obviously A-level results!). It is what it is.

Best of luck to those students still awaiting replies.
I agree with earlier comments with regards to DU concentrating on getting replies out, especially this close to A-levels (some of which have already begun).

Ranking colleges must be a bit daunting, especially with the DU offer holders days being held so early in decision process.

My son ranked his top 7 based upon what he liked about them (rather than what he disliked about others).

Of the 449 entries on the Responses spreadsheet, only 5 originally picked Van Mildert (worryingly low) and that is likely where my son will end up given his prefered course (and obviously A-level results!). It is what it is.

Best of luck to those students still awaiting replies.

Good luck to your son with his A-levels too!

Quick Reply

Latest