The Student Room Group

Land Economy Cambridge offer asking for 4th grade but website only suggests 3 grades

my niece has been offered cambridge Land Economy course but she has been asked to get A*AA (as expected and well-known requirement) but also, the AS level 4th subject A too. this will be challenging for her to get fourth A as she has only focused on three A level subjects as per Cambridge university website guidelines. what should she do now? should she ask for offer to be revised as nowhere has fourth AS subject requirement been mentioned on website? anyone has any experience if it can be revised? thank you

Please see:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
and
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/courses/land-economy-ba-hons-2022-b1f71f606aa7
Reply 1
Original post by chawal2
my niece has been offered cambridge Land Economy course but she has been asked to get A*AA (as expected and well-known requirement) but also, the AS level 4th subject A too. this will be challenging for her to get fourth A as she has only focused on three A level subjects as per Cambridge university website guidelines. what should she do now? should she ask for offer to be revised as nowhere has fourth AS subject requirement been mentioned on website? anyone has any experience if it can be revised? thank you

Please see:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
and
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/courses/land-economy-ba-hons-2022-b1f71f606aa7

They're only typical offers, and you can get offered on 4 subjects if you take four. I was told to be wary of that when I took 4 AHs this year by my maths teacher as someone the year above had been given an offer on 4 subjects for Imperial (not Cambridge but similar entrance requirements usually). Of course, nothing wrong with trying!
On the happier side, good it's this early, whilst it's not great to have to work on another subject after leaving it behind, it's early enough in the year that with some work she can 100% achieve it.
I wish her luck! And congratulate her for her achievement on getting in.
(edited 2 years ago)
As above those are just standard offers - the university (or college for Cambridge/Oxford) is free to set more specific or extensive offers depending on what the applicant is taking and (for courses that interview) their interview performance (e.g. they might require A*A*A for a course that is usually A*AA, they may require the A* for an A*AA course to be in a specific subject, etc).

This is why it's widely advised for applicants to not take more than 3 A-levels, because there is no benefit in doing so and as you can see, there can be a disadvantage if it forms part of the offer.

Of course this is assuming she has applied with a pending AS grade on her application. If she did not and they just asked her to do an AS out of a hat that is probably an error and should be flagged.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bxcs
They're only typical offers, and you can get offered on 4 subjects if you take four. I was told to be wary of that when I took 4 AHs this year by my maths teacher as someone the year above had been given an offer on 4 subjects for Imperial (not Cambridge but similar entrance requirements usually). Of course, nothing wrong with trying!
On the happier side, good it's this early, whilst it's not great to have to work on another subject after leaving it behind, it's early enough in the year that with some work she can 100% achieve it.
I wish her luck! And congratulate her for her achievement on getting in.

Thank you so much for your response. I am grateful for the help. She wrote to college and they have revised offer on UCAS as an AS subject is not intended to be part of admission criteria for land economy. We are very pleased with this helpful act by the college. Best wishes to u all...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As above those are just standard offers - the university (or college for Cambridge/Oxford) is free to set more specific or extensive offers depending on what the applicant is taking and (for courses that interview) their interview performance (e.g. they might require A*A*A for a course that is usually A*AA, they may require the A* for an A*AA course to be in a specific subject, etc).

This is why it's widely advised for applicants to not take more than 3 A-levels, because there is no benefit in doing so and as you can see, there can be a disadvantage if it forms part of the offer.

Of course this is assuming she has applied with a pending AS grade on her application. If she did not and they just asked her to do an AS out of a hat that is probably an error and should be flagged.

Thank you so much for your response. I am grateful for the help. She wrote to college and they have revised offer on UCAS as an AS subject is not intended to be part of admission criteria for land economy. We are very pleased with this helpful act by the college. Best wishes to u all...
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply