Just purely interested

Thanks

Jason
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I havent started uni. But I will have a part-time job and work in the holidays. I will need too. My parents won't just give me loads of money (understandably) and I don't want to be in loads of debt!
amnesiaiom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I reckon it's best to have a job in the holidays rather than when ya actually at uni.. cos then you can enjoy the time you are at uni and just use the time when you are back home effectively by working full time!

I'm coming out of full time work to go to uni.. so I'm going to ask them if I can come and help out in the holidays and then I can earn a wage!

I get the best of both worlds then :bootyshak
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I doubt I'll get a job when I'm at uni. I want to have the chance to enjoy my free time and do my work properly, a job would just be a burden for me. Unless working on campus I suppose, that might be ok pour moi...
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm going to go and work in spain in the summer

lou xxx
smithsfan
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Its OK for some people to say they wont work at uni cus they wanna spend time havin fun, they can undoubtedly afford it (or their parents can). The actual reality for many of us is that a job is needed if we can keep our heads above water whilst at university.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have a part time job, but I plan to leave soon.
dazednconfused
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i'm going to go and work in spain in the summer

lou xxx
Hey lou, what are you going to be doing out there and how do you go about organising it...? x
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by smithsfan)
.. cus they wanna spend time havin fun, they can undoubtedly afford it (or their parents can). The actual reality for many of us is that a job is needed if we can keep our heads above water whilst at university.
well the actual reality for me is that i really couldn't have a job during term time.

but with careful budgeting & a full-time summer job (&very little help from my parents,incidentally, other than not charging me rent at home!) i manage to more than keep my head more than above water.

it's not quite as clear cut as 'only loaded people don't work at uni'. :p:
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No time to work during term, but will work over the holidays definitely.
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Right thanks for the replys...

Trying to move on the convo;

How do you get your money?
How much do you have to spend a week?
What are your expenditures = rent, etc?

I'm just trying to work out how much student live on in a week

Thanks

Jason
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Money - Loan, Savings, Parents
Expenditures - Rent, food, going out, phone bill, toileteries, stationary, books (espec at start of term), shopping, travel
Spend on a "normal" week i.e not start of term/freshers week/major book buying spree..about £50 I guess. Levelling out phone bill and general shopping and food stuff.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i worked full-time for 12 week last summer, 9-5 monday-friday and 9-12 every other saturday. we're not really allowed to work in term time, and the winter and easter holidays are really too short to do anything useful with.

plan to do the same again this summer.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How do you get your money?
student loan.
employment money/birthday money etc. i save.

How much do you have to spend a week?
this term so far am averaging under £25 per week - but living cheaply & working too hard.

over the 3 terms i've budgeted at uni: £55.26, £74.53, £72.85 per week on average. the last 2 are somewhat artifically high by my birthday/end of exam/ball celebrations then general christmas parties&pretty dresses..encluding these makes them ~£55 per week too.
this includes food.

What are your expenditures = rent, etc?
key one is rent ~£800 per term. then food.. then probably frivolities - cocktails, eating out, cinema/clubs/parties, clothes etc.

hope this helps.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't be bothered to type everything out, but my expenditure is similar to elles; but then we do go to the same university.

the only major difference being i get some funds from doing access work, interviews, open days ect ect.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by granddad_bob)
the only major difference being i get some funds from doing access work, interviews, open days ect ect.
out of interest - what access work pays..? my open days have been in book tokens! :p:
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i got paid for doing interviews, though that was just to cover expenses, really. others bit and bobs too, never a great amount.
smithsfan
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
well the actual reality for me is that i really couldn't have a job during term time.

but with careful budgeting & a full-time summer job (&very little help from my parents,incidentally, other than not charging me rent at home!) i manage to more than keep my head more than above water.

it's not quite as clear cut as 'only loaded people don't work at uni'. :p:
Fair play, I do understand. I arent at uni at the moment so I dont wanna sound really bitter anything I was just trying to imply that some people's circumstances are difeerent to others. I am sure it is very hard keeping to a tight budget like that. Do you take out the loan or just try to live from the earnings that you make in the summer???
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wonder where the six people who don't work at uni or in the holidays get their money from?
smithsfan
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I wonder where the six people who don't work at uni or in the holidays get their money from?
I was thinking that too.

PS: Just another thing, you're supporting the wrong team in liverpool. Try the one that is fourth in the league
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed